Trux Models

The place to discuss models. Ie Model Buses, Model Railways etc.
Forum rules
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 820 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Trux

Trux Models

Post by Trux »

Hi all
Thought I should come on to the forum and say hi. I have been reading with interest all the comments on Trux models dating back a few years now and I think it's great there's a dedicated spot for you guys to discuss your hobby and collections. I'm happy to answer any feedback or answer any questions or queries you may have on any of the models we have made, and am also more than happy to receive suggestions from you all on new bus tools to make, or new liveries for some of the existing tools.
To answer some of the questions I have read let me say:
1/ Yes, we are making more Trux tools with five approved for government buses, and five approved for private / coach buses. The decision on what we make has predominantly come from years of suggestions from collectors (yes, we do register them all on a big spreadsheet). So the next tool (which I'm not going to tell you what it is yet) will cover both a Mark I and a Mark II version of this bus (any ideas what it is?). Remember a diecast tool for a model bus is around $100k to us in cost before we release the first model so we want to make sure we pick the right models to build. To give you a hint of what the next new tool is, this bus was used by the government in not all but a few capitol cities in the seventies, and also became very popular with private companies in later life, some of which are still used today. So don't worry, with 10 new tools spread across both government and private/coach buses, Trux will be here to stay for a long time yet.
2/ The TX20B rear school lights was completely my fault. Greg Travers brought it to my attention during pre-production and I was more concerned with getting the official approval from the department so that I could make the model with the current livery, that it completely slipped my mind. This wont happen again I can assure you as not only do we now have dedicated government and private bus experts that we refer to, I have also employed a full time manager named Malcolm Connell whose role it is to ensure accuracy of all TG models before their release.
3/ To the gentleman who suggested that 1 in 2 Trux models he receives are damaged and he has to return them, I am sorry this has happened to you. We have a very clear quality control department before an item leaves the building, however I have no control over Australia Post and it's private contractors. I wish I did as we suffer from numerous calls from customers who pay the extra for AP signed service, only to find the guy leaves it at the front step or simply drops them into the local post office without making an attempt to deliver them. In addition there is an expected 30% increase in postage costs to be applied by AP over the next 3 years for all local packages under 1kg which is such a shame as the service certainly wont be increasing by 30% I can assure you.
4/ We will be continuing to increase the level of detail on all our buses as they are released, including the interior. I have asked bus collectors a few times if they want an upmarket 'Opal' version of our Trux range (Opal if you're not aware, is a range of models we make at Top Gear that are 1:43 like the Trax models, but come with opening doors, boot and bonnet. Imagine a bus with opening doors, engine cover, and cargo doors? So far most people have said they don't want this as no matter how hard you try it's very hard to correctly scale the gaps between each opening component.) So, buses will continue to get more detail like mirrors, Ringfeders, mudflaps and greater interior detail so stay tuned and hopefully you'll be happy with the results.
5/ Yes, we will be making more models of specific buses from the Sydney Bus Museum, and we're also hoping to make some buses from the other transport museums around Australia like the Tasmanian Bus Society, and even the Sydney Tram Museum. We want to support these places in any way we can.

Finally, as I said above, we want to hear your feedback and suggestions on our Trux models, warts and all. Please do not hold back if you have an issue, and please also let us know if you're happy with the models that come. We don't know if you don't tell us and we're always happy to get feedback, good or bad.
Thanks all and I hope you enjoy the new Trux releases coming out soon.
Regs
Brett Jacobson
CEO
Top Gear
Trux Models is a part of Top Gear. The current Trux range can be found at http://www.topgear.com.au/category.php?type=trux
Andrew
Administrator

Re: Trux Models

Post by Andrew »

Hi Brett, thank you for the informative post and welcome to the board. I have a few Trux models from over the eyars and am really pleased at the additional details now filtering through like mirrors and wipers - they make quite a difference. Thanks again.
Job done.
adx666
Favourite Vehicle: Transperth Mercedes O305

Post by adx666 »

Some more stuff representing past and present WA would be fantastic Brett :wink:
Sad sad days with seas and seas of silver sh!t :evil:
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

Trux wrote:So the next tool (which I'm not going to tell you what it is yet) will cover both a Mark I and a Mark II version of this bus (any ideas what it is?).
Not really sure, but could it be a Leyland Leopard as in the these two? http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4049/5157 ... 998b_b.jpg (Sorry about the photo quality)
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
Mr OC Benz
Favourite Vehicle: Anything German

Post by Mr OC Benz »

The Bus Preservation Society of WA has quite a large (and fast growing) collection of older buses (representing the fleets once roaming the streets of Perth) that would be good to see as models of Perth's transport history.
JC72

Post by JC72 »

Could you please do a Brisbane Bus and by any chance could you bring them out in a display case like your cars?
Doc68
Favourite Vehicle: Technics sl1200

Post by Doc68 »

Brett I have just received my first "whiskas" atlantean via ebay & am looking forward to expanding "my" fleet With new & preloved vehicles from your company

Cheers Doc
'GM 2strokes, still the most efficient engine ever developed for converting fuel into noise'.
Food has replaced sex in my life now I can't even get into my own pants
wyth
Favourite Vehicle: Plaxton bodied Dennis Darts

Post by wyth »

Hi Brett, this is very exciting news and I feel you hit my collection 100% with 70s and nearer to the present! Whatever comes out, Im sure I'll add it to my collection if its city buses, I want to say a big thank you for the latest regent destined for Marouba Beach, she sits nicely with the Atlantean and halfcab single decker!
Trux

Post by Trux »

I should also mention that if you have joined the 2013 Trax Club then the first issue of Keeping Trax for the new membership year will be released next week and shows the second Trux tool we've started work on. A bus that existed around the country in the 40's and 50's and was predominantly used for private bus companies. A version of this bus also exists in the Sydney Bus Museum and is one of their registered buses they take to events. To give you a hint, I'm going to need to design a bigger box to put it in.
Regs Brett
Trux Models is a part of Top Gear. The current Trux range can be found at http://www.topgear.com.au/category.php?type=trux
Newcastle Flyer

Here is one I've been told is good to model: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5057/5481 ... c90e_b.jpg
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
The Inspector
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Post by The Inspector »

I am very happy with my Trux collection so far but would dearly like to see other states included on a bigger scale.

The NSW stuff is popular with interstaters aswell as locals but I am sure they are feeling a little left out with nothing coming from their home state.

Also there are some interstate buses that are very popular with NSW collectors so would be equaly enjoed as much as those from their own state.

As for current models, the Denning mono coach & Denning Decker could go on for quite a while as there are many popular/ attractive liveries that could be covered.

Cant wait to see the new editions, keep up the good work.
Has AdMet CB80 fever
sta
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz Oc500LE CNG

Post by sta »

Cars workshop,drumwell,cmnl all have opening and detail
Engine bays for a price of around $48.

It is possible but it would be better without an opening engine bay since they arin't that great anyway.
The thing that I hope to see are mirrors and a better interior like transit graphics oz bus range.

Looking forward for more trux models.
venturatiger

Post by venturatiger »

Hi Brett, have nearly every model you have put out so far, but like others would like to see some more from other states other than NSW

Eg track Buses from Grenda , Ventura, Dysons etc in VIC, SA, WA & Tas Metro fleets

If you were to make a Volgren CR228L Dye the possibilities are endless for liveries

Cheers Venturatiger
Blue Leopard

Post by Blue Leopard »

Brett,

Thanks for posting the above which is an interesting read. It's good to see manufactures talking/listening to their customer base and explaining what's going on and what we can expect.

I for one am really hoping the Mark I & II models you refer to are going to be NSW Govt Leyland Leopards both in green and cream and blue and white liveries. It would be a popular model because of their long life in both Government and private service with lots of livery variations. (Would also like to see the Mercedes Mark I in original livery :D )

Personally, I would pay extra for an Opel style model bus in the Trux range if it meant finer scale detail.

One thing I would like to see is more period advertising on the sides and rear of buses, (especially the govt ones) which seems to have been missing lately. I'm not talking about AOA, just the banner style ads--it really adds to the look of the model giving it a more realistic appearance.

John,
Queanbeyan NSW
kitkat271
Favourite Vehicle: Double decker buses

Post by kitkat271 »

Welcome Brett, it's always great to see insight from the model makers. I for one really appreciate you coming onto the forum and talking with your customers.

On some of your points:
1. Love the Trux models lately - at least they are from my era and buses I can recognise as having seen run in service with my own eyes. The Denning decker in particular is superb. More modern models like these, please!

2. As "sta" pointed out above, there are a few model builders who are manufacturing 1:76 scale Hong Kong double deckers with far more detail than the Trux models, yet their retail price through a high street shop is just ~$45. Even the small run resin models aren't much more than that. I've always wondered how do they do this and why Aussie models costs so much, esp where there is no retail network to support?

3. I would love to have a 1:43 or even larger scale model bus - but it has to be the right one and priced right, too. Continuing the subject of what the Hong Kong manufacturers are able to achieve, they have about 1:40 scale toy buses which still manage to have quite a bit of detailing (exterior rather than interior), and costs ~$15 retail.

4. Stepping away from Trux, any way you guys able branch out into producing more modern Australian racing cars like Biante or Classic Carlectables have done? I notice they're producing a lot of 80s/90s V8/Group A racers - I'm a racing car nut and also collect race car models as well as buses. I've never bought non-Trux models from you because all your model cars are "dad's cars" rather than ones from my era.
aussie_ozfire

Post by aussie_ozfire »

Nice to see the manufactorers show up on the forums, good on ya Brett ! . As for some tooling ideas, since you already have the Denning's, how about a Denning Landseer ? Real nice coach, national operators, and many livery;s to do. Also, a Domino Tourmaster would fit right along with this, preferably a mk2 , a mercedes 0303 single axle and tag axle version would also cover lots of operators. As for classic buses, a bedford comair sb3 , a comair VAM , leyland leopard tiger as mentioned , a PMC Elwood would fit in nicely too. Im glad to see your stepping up the detail now, the denning denair was one of my most anticipated releases and I was thrilled to hear you were doing this, however, once I got one, I was a little underwhelmed at the detail level. Mirrors, better interior detail, a bullbar ( now this has been done thankfully), better wheel detail all would have made this model look so much better.How about coming out with a " dress up kit" for the older versions of the denair ? -a bullbar, mudflaps, mirrors etc that can be attached by the consumer .
Also keeping with the trux range, some more 1/64 aussie trucks wont go astray, the Linsay Bros kenworth is still one of my favorite models. I would like to see a better job on the bullbar however, the chrome stick on thing just dosnt look very good. Diecast Promotions in the USA have some real nice trucks, many with decent tooled bullbars that could be used for aussie trucks, especially now they have a kenworth K100 cabover. Wouldnt it be nice to do a cabover aussie kenworth with spider wheels, and a bullbar ??? This could be done in so many liverys as it was a mainstay in the interstate trucking industry 70's, 80's , 90's, and theres still many working hard today.
Have you guys ever considered doing 1/87 scale stuff, so it covers the railway modellers too ? Some aussie buses / coaches / trucks would be nice, an old acco butterbox, or cabover, a MB 1418 , a volvo G88 , many many options here....
As for a 1/43 coach, I would jump on it as long as its done correctly and a model Im interested in. I would hate to see you guys spend 100's of thousands $$$$ to tool something that would be a flop. A nicely done Denning denair late 80's would be nice for me but I am biased towards these great coaches......
Im really glad to see aussie models being done for the bus / coach / truck enthusiests out there and keep them coming......Cheers !
Trux

Post by Trux »

Thanks all as this feedback is all good stuff and we do take notice. Answering a couple of points mentioned:

1/ Pricing - I agree there are model companies out there across the planet with greater detail in their models for roughly the same pricing as ours, but to be fair, none of them will make a bus that takes you to Ryde Depot for $47.95. I know there are a couple of Australian companies making models that could take you to Ryde Depot, but it certainly won't be for $48. More like $170. But remember, that's completely fine. Collecting is totally a personal thing and one mans highly detailed collectible model is another mans toy. We have one level of detail for buses at the moment which is retailed at $47.95. It may depending on the economy both here and in China, go to $49.95 but that's not confirmed and only something we've discussed at TG HQ and not decided upon yet. One day it definitely will but I honestly don't have a date for that yet. Could be this year, could be next year, might even be the year after.

The question is not whether the model is $48 or $148, it's did you get value for your money? Do you feel satisfied that you got your moneys worth and are glad you bought the model and have it in your display? If not, then there's the issue. Those that know me and have heard me ramble on before about this will know what I'm about to say. 15 years ago you could buy a base model Commodore for roughly $35k which came with wind up windows, no air, no cruise, and manual mirrors. Today the base model Commodore is just under $35k at $34,990 and comes standard with electric windows and mirrors, CD player, air, steer, reverse sensors and the list goes on. (Check http://www.holden.com.au/latestoffers/commodore and you'll see what I mean) If you relate that to our models, people were happy with what our models provided when they first came out 27 years ago, but now they expect more. So I am trying to provide a higher level of value through greater detail and accuracy across all our product ranges for roughly the same price. Therefore mirrors whilst exciting now, will eventually become standard and expected by you on all buses so soon I will have to find something new to excite you all with.

Remembering I cant give you air conditioning, power steering or electric windows to excite you, so it has to be higher levels of detail for the exterior like mirrors, Ringfeders, bull bars, wipers, under carriage detail, mud flaps etc, and interior detail like seat patterns, chrome railing detail, the yellow garbage tins, dash board detail, luggage racks above the passengers, curtains, those convex interior observation mirrors for the driver to check on passengers above their head, seat belts on coaches, head rests and even the pull rope wire thing to tell the driver when to stop. All this stuff will come in time, and our goal is to try and ensure it comes without a price rise.

2/ Scale - We started with this scale when we started with buses because this was the scale available to us at the time. It was also a popular choice with train people. We have been asked over the years to make buses in a different scale but the question always remains, which one? We've had requests for everything from 1:148 for N Gauge train sets (I mean really, 1:148? you wouldn't even be able to see what sort of bus it is at 1:148) up to 1:12. Problem with small scales is they are too specific for the purpose. N Gauge is a popular scale for model trains but nothing else, and the number of N Gauge collectors who would like to have models of Australian buses in their scenery would be under 100 globally I would suggest!

Once you get past 1:24 the bigger issue is space to display. There are quite a few collectors who have every Trux model we've made which is great, but would they still have every model if we did it in 1:24 scale? Only if they had a bigger shed or an understanding wife I would suggest. Also, just like mirrors and bull bars for which collectors are now asking us to make them separate to retro fit, if we did make models in different scales, would the expectation be to make every new model we do available in both scales or just one, and then which one? Should we convert our Trux production up to 1:43 for all new models and stop making 1:76? if we do, would there be an expectation to remake all the buses we've done in 1:76 again now in 1:43?

To give you and idea of the cost to do that, a 1:76 bus tool costs me about $100k before I sell the first one, I would estimate it would cost me double to do it in 1:43 based on what it costs to make our 1:43 car range. Therefore, 16 Trux tools times $200k is a lazy $3,600,000 before I sell the first bus. Then, if I did make them all again in 1:43, would everyone re-buy the models you already have in 1:76 again in 1:43 just because I made one? So, not trying to be smart or squash any of the ideas you guys are sending through here, just trying to apply some real world commercial sense to why we're not thinking about making our buses in multiple scales. 1:76, continuing to be released with greater detail, for roughly the same price, is the future for Trux.

3/ Mirrors, bull bars, Ringfeders, wipers etc, sold separately for retro fit - Quick answer is we're thinking about it. Would the expectation be that all would be sold in one pack, or that each would be sold separately? Also, some of these components have meant a change to the main bus tool where the tool now has small locating holes for the mirrors and wipers etc to be fitted as they don't just stick to the side of the bus. This would mean you would have to either drill your own small locating hole to fit them, or cut off the locating pins on the mirrors and then glue them to the bus.

Rest assured, I wont be tooling up two mirror tools, one with locating pins for new buses, and one without locating pins for retro fit. The mirror tool alone cost me roughly $12,500 AUS so you can see why i'm not going to have two. I can see it now, the factory will mix them up and all the new buses will have locating pins with non-locating pin mirrors fitted and then the retro fit blister packs will have......forget it as I'm going grey at an early age already. Right now I'm thinking we'll do a complete but separate retro kit for each Denning which includes the wipers, bull bar for the Dennair, Ringfeder, and mirrors. No idea how much it would be yet as I'll have to work it out.

So, keep em coming and hopefully I'll be able to answer as many as possible. Also, thinking about the extras, no one mentioned the external rear exhuast I added to the Kirklands bus last year. Didn't we like it?
Regs Brett
Newcastle Flyer

I've a HO scale bus next to an OO scale bus of the same or similar model, on a HO layout. For some reason, the HO seems to look a bit small, as in slightly underscale, even though the layout is HO scale. The OO bus seems to fit HO scale layouts better for some reason.
White lives matter too.
sta
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz Oc500LE CNG

Post by sta »

I would really like a more detailed version of tx19 & tx19b and would buy two of each if you guys produce it in the future.
There's a couple of nice models that transitgraphics is producing like the Sydney 2000 mark V, Sydney's 1500th Mercedes bus livery mark V and others which only 1 is being sold to the public so will it be on the deck of cards to produce them if there are enough people interested.

Have trax thought of producing a new scale of model cars in 1:18 since you can pack more detail and they seem more value for money then the 1:46 scale models.

Keep up the good work and will be looking forward to this years lineup of trux and trax models.
Blue Leopard

Post by Blue Leopard »

For me it's 1/76 or nothing with buses. It seems to be the right scale and it is consistent with other model bus manufacturers both here and overseas.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

I agree they should stick to 1/76, it is a fairly entrenched standard these days. A few Trux models have been sourced from EFE in England, and all these are 1/76 so match up well.

Corgi have produced a few buses in 1/50 which is a convenient size for getting more detail.

I have a large collection of American fire engine models in 1/64, a good compromise between the above scales, and allowing for fantastic detail. The same company produced a few 1/32 specials as does Franklin Mint.

I detested Matchbox, which tried to have all their models the same actual size; the scales are all over the place.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
actually

Post by actually »

I have a few trux models and love em! The decker with the train advert on it is my fav probably because I'm from perth and took my own pics when it was floating around. I'd personally love to see the volgren 228 body in transperth livery, then one of the Brisbane city council city glider livery. There are countless really for that body. Even one with the CAT livery from here in perth would be cool.
Doing nothing suspicious at PATH Transit

-----its not a train set, its a model railway-----
Tas Bus Nut
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Hi Brett. Neil from the TB&CS. Great to hear from you on this forum. As mentioned by boronia, I myself always wondered WHY Trux didn't experiment with 1:50, especially like the Corgi Flxible Clipper. I would have thought (perhaps) this could have been an option, as they may :?: be able to co-share the tooling like some of the 1:76 scale buses. As mentioned by many, other vehicles are always welcome (IMO preferably older :mrgreen: ) but some of the newer COACHES are also ideal. Keep up the good work, and hopefully now you are "online" with us here on BA, you can keep us all up-to-date on future tooling. Cheers
PS: MY personal preferences would be: Denning Landseer - Tourmaster - O303 - SB3 Bedford/CAC or Comair or ANSAIR :mrgreen:
DrArtherGunzel

Post by DrArtherGunzel »

The size 1.76 is good as it goes well with the melboure trams sold in 1,76 be good for a Meldourne AEC 111 and the AEC 111 was used in WA for manys years or so one day and good if the other mob make a few R and R1 class to go with the NSW buses ,cars be nice to in 1.76 but oxford make most cars , Even a Tolly bus would maybe sell well as most can be sourced from the UK with a repaint and mods like some melbourne buses had,But Keep the good work up trux good gear for a good price as they dont seem to de value and thats good. like investing in gold !
Last edited by DrArtherGunzel on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
wyth
Favourite Vehicle: Plaxton bodied Dennis Darts

Post by wyth »

Im an outsider here but a collector of Aussie buses, plz keep em' at 1.76!! Theres some Corgi and Britbus models which could be commissioned too like the AEC Swift and the Plaxton Pointer (for NZ)...... Looking forward as always to some gems from your ranges and as mentioned above, please put adverts on a citybus, your Sydney Atlantean with HMV on the front ect...... plenty of ads would make it very smart!! Keep smiling and enjoy the hobby as Frank Joyce says!

Return to “Transport Models”