Diecasts (mostly Bus and Coach)

The place to discuss models. Ie Model Buses, Model Railways etc.
Forum rules
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 820 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Bassman

Diecasts (mostly Bus and Coach)

Post by Bassman »

I have been collecting 1:76 scale Buses and Coaches since EFE released their first "collector's standard" coaches in 1991. I have been collecting EFE models and also Corgi and other 1:76 models ever since. I have a liking for models of buses from my local (well it used to be!) Oxford Bus Company. I have EFE, Corgi and CMNL models of buses from this company.

In the late 90's I bought my first Hong Kong bus (a 3 axle 11 Metre Olympian) and have been particularly interested in those models ever since. The trickle of models from Hong Kong stopped in around 2005/6 though there have been some UK liveried examples of ex-Hong Kong buses released since. I now have getting on for 80 models of various Hong Kong types. 31 of those are in Citybus livery. Next would be China Motor Bus with 17 (I think... I have misplace a Leyland PD3/5c Titan) and then KMB with 15 (including one Long Win Olympian). I did manage to buy a couple of models recently in the shape of a CMNL 11 Metre Alexander bodied Olympian in Citybus Big "C" livery (released in 2004) and a Corgi 12 Metre Berkhof bodied MAN 24.310 in KMB Champagne livery (released in 2003 in the UK). Here are some images of them courtesy of the Oriental Model Buses Web Site (as is the Volgren information)...

http://www.orientalmodelbuses.co.uk/Ley ... 2001m2.jpg

http://www.orientalmodelbuses.co.uk/MAN/om45201m2.jpg

I do have the unique Citybus #2500 MAN 24.350 which is fitted with an Australian Volgren CR221LD body. It was the first time that that Volgren had designed and built a double-deck body. The frontal design is similar to the Alexander 'R' one, as requested by Citybus. This has managed to get released in 4 different liveries. I suppose being the only example of this bus in Hong Kong they had to do something to get a return on their investment.

Here it is in the standard Citybus livery...

http://www.orientalmodelbuses.co.uk/MAN/om45401m2.jpg

I have this plus the "Year of the Snake" livery. There is also one with the original livery it had and also one with a Stagecoach Corporate style livery.

Not content with the 1:76 scale buses I have a few Corgi 1:50 scale buses (including two Oxford liveried models). One of these 1;50 models is a Southdown Bedford OB (similar to the Sunstar model). This was one of the first series of OB's released by Corgi and at one time was fetching about £120 (I paid £9.99 for it!).

I do also have some Corgi Modern (and not so modern) 1:50 Commercial Vehicles (and now some 1:76 scale ones as well including some excellent Oxford Diecast 1:76 Modern Trucks).
cordes_express
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Reliance

Re: Diecasts (mostly Bus and Coach)

Post by cordes_express »

Would Just Love to see photos of some of your collection.
If buses mean business.... Then business is great!!!
Bassman

Re: Diecasts (mostly Bus and Coach)

Post by Bassman »

I really ought to visit more often!!

On my first post in this topic I neglected to mention my Sun Star models! I have a couple of 1/24 Bedford OB Coaches. I have a 27 Seat Southdown version (pre-ordered that one) and a 29 Seat Grey Cars version which I managed to pick up in a post Christmas sale a few years ago for £35 I think which was at most half price! I also have one of the Routemasters as well. I only pre-ordered one (at the price they charged I suspect buying one was a little optimistic!) in the shape of the RCL Greenline version with Platform Doors.

Slightly connected with the RCL, I recently bought the Revell 1/24 Routemaster. At least it is an RML (plenty of scope for conversions) so is not the same as the Sun Star models. It is one of those nice kits where if you take the sprues out of the box (very big box!) you stand a slight chance of eventually getting them back in successfully. The kit does look as if it will make a superb model and comes with the AEC AV590 engine (still trying to find a picture of the drivers side of that as they appear to have got one part a little too long). There is also a Scania DS9 engine which unfortunately was, I believe, only fitted to the standard length RM's. I am rather keen to get back into modelling with this as I have not made a model in a good number of years, though I am rather tempted to go the ambitious route of making RMF1254, the front entrance version. I have a second kit so will maybe even get around to a standard RML!

I won't even mention the Moebius Lonestar!! Or, for that matter the Revell Australian Kenworth for which I bought the original SAR conversion kit. I put that on hold while figuring the most accurate way of making a Detroit 6V92 to at least make the interior realistic (I just ordered a resin 6V92 and some other modelling supplies, which ought to arrive shortly). My first thought (at the time) was a cut down 8V92 (doing a resin 8V92 swap and using a plastic one to "adjust"). A few years ago I bought the excellent Emhar 1/24 Bedford OSBT 5 tonner, the SWB Tipper version, so another to add to the "to do" list.

On the diecast front, that Berkhof MAN was one of the last diecasts I bought , I think as money became something of an issue. I recently got a tax rebate (hence the spend on some new models to "play with"). As for my "collection", I have no display cases, so all the buses are neatly stored in their original boxes!

Return to “Transport Models”