turbodog

Adelaide bus scrolls with suburb listing

Post by turbodog »

Hi, i am looking for any Adelaide suburb rolls. Know of any.? Thanks
operator541
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Swift 760 series

Re: Adelaide bus scrolls with suburb listing

Post by operator541 »

Hi Turbodog, good luck i've been hunting around for months and my post on here has been around awhile now, haven't found anything yet. i'm after any scroll off of Volvos, MAN's and Merc's even AEC Swifts. Good Luck in the Hunt. :D
tramfan70

Post by tramfan70 »

I have a version but cannot really date it. I think it is from 1969 Daimler (Fleet 200's) when they had two blinds either side of the Route Number boxes. The two blinds could be set left to right Front Entrance 8 St Peters
Destinations in order on my roll.
SOUTH Rd
MARION Rd
MORPHETT Rd
GORDON St
SOMERTON
GRYAMORE
PORT ADELAIDE
JUNCTION Rd
CHELTENHAM
WOODVILLE NORTH
KILKENNY
CROYDON
PROSPECT
BLAIR ATHOL
MITCHAM
TORRENS PARK
LOWER MITCHAM
UNLEY
MINIMUM FARE 15c
MINIMUM FARE 20c
FULL
HACKNEY
FRONT ENTRANCE
CITY
FULLARTON
GLYNDE
ST PETERS
PARADISE
NEWTON
KINGSWOOD
SPRINGFIELD
NETHERBY
ROSTREVOR
FIRLE
TRANMERE
MAGILL
MORIALTA
OLDFIELD
WEST BEACH
RICHMOND
KIRCALDY
QUEENSTOWN
PANORAMA
ENFIELD
GEPPS CROSS
COL. LIGHT GARDENS
CLARENCE PARK
GOODWOOD
OVAL
EXPRESS
SPECIAL FARE 15c
SPECIAL FARE 20c
via PULTENEY St.
via NORTH Tce.
tramfan70

Post by tramfan70 »

Another roll is supp. info. This one is from Volvo B59 and B10 days. (This one is marked not for Aldgate Depot no Stop 14A, assume this was for outbound 820F)
In order
FOOTBALL PARK
OVAL
CHARTER
CONNECTS TRAIN
CONNECTS TRAM
SCHOOL BUS
INDUSTRIAL BUS
DEPOT
FULL
ALL STOPS
EXPRESS
SPECIAL
VIA ROUTE A
VIA ROUTE B
VIA ROUTE C
VIA ROUTE D
VIA ROUTE E
VIA ROUTE G
VIA ROUTE H
VIA ROUTE J
VIA ROUTE K
VIA ROUTE L
VIA ROUTE M
VIA ROUTE N
VIA ROUTE P
VIA ROUTE R
VIA ROUTE W
CITY
1st SET DOWN STOP 1A
1st SET DOWN STOP 11
1st SET DOWN STOP 14
1st SET DOWN STOP 17
1st SET DOWN STOP 20
SPECIAL
1st SET DOWN STOP 25
1st SET DOWN STOP 26
1st SET DOWN STOP 29
1st SET DOWN STOP 30
1st SET DOWN STOP 34
1st SET DOWN STOP 37
CONNECTS TRAIN
SCHOOL BUS
INDUSTRIAL BUS
DEPOT
FULL
ALL STOPS
EXPRESS
SPECIAL
operator541

Post by operator541 »

Hi, Tram fan that second one is exactly what i'm looking for, just wish i could find one, would love the numbers as well but thats pushing my luck i think. Would be extremely hard to find a full set these days. :) Still hunting tho!!
adx666
Favourite Vehicle: Transperth Mercedes O305

Post by adx666 »

I've seen ex Adelaide buses running around Perth complete with numbers
Sad sad days with seas and seas of silver sh!t :evil:
turbo54

Post by turbo54 »

Hi,
I swapped these with someone for some work and want to hang them in my house. There are two. I would like to know some more info about them as they have two suburb names that have been swallowed up now. Kirkcaldy and Greymore. Anyone know what year these are from? They are in great worn condition. Any info would be great. Also where might I find the mechanism to mount these to my wall. I was thinking of using some blind mechs but would like to use the industrial mechanical ones if possible.

Scroll 1:

Scroll 2:

Thanks
T54
leyland4ever

Post by leyland4ever »

Anyone know what year these are from?
1970 - they were introduced with the production batch of AEC Swifts (402 onwards) in September, or thereabouts, and retrospectively fitted to all one-man type buses (Daimler Roadliners, AEC Regal V1s, and Leyland Worldmasters 801-816).

They are the last of the destination name type rolls produced, as the switch was made to numbers only, with a supplementary roll, in the mid 1970s, on the reasoning that, with the takeover of private bus fleets in 1974, there were too many names to fit on two blinds!

Then, electronic displays became available, first used on MANs 1801-1940 from 1982, so names returned, but in electronic format.

Cheers

Trevor
Tas Bus Nut
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

I have a four number box with numbers. PM for price. NOT cheap to send from Tassie though.
operator541

Post by operator541 »

Hey Turbodog, your a very Lucky man, i'm so envious at the moment, you got your destination scroll well done, and a rare one too, Look after it. :D
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

There's a desto roll with Adelaide suburbs hanging on display at Mr Pickwicks Antiques in Katoomba NSW. No idea what it's from, but I would also expect an exhorbitant price knowing them. They had a Sydney Tram roll about a year ago that they wanted $2000 for. They might have a website you could contact them on.
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B10M

Post by 1115 »

Centralian wrote:There's a desto roll with Adelaide suburbs hanging on display at Mr Pickwicks Antiques in Katoomba NSW. No idea what it's from, but I would also expect an exhorbitant price knowing them. They had a Sydney Tram roll about a year ago that they wanted $2000 for. They might have a website you could contact them on.
Odds it's from the Adelaide bendy that Blue Mountain Explorer had in the depot, expired.
mrobsessed
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Reliance

Post by mrobsessed »

If its got suburbs in it, it's not out of a B58/B10M.
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

The one on display at Katoomba appears to be a genuine article, unused or barely used and the suburb listings from the top are: Osborne; Largs North; Seabourne Rd; Prospect; Blair Athol; Mitcham; Torrens Park (?) and then the view of the rest is obstructed. I asked for a price and they had to ring the vendor as it's on consignment and said $1250. Shop assistant claims it's a train desto :?
busrider
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Maybe not my car...

Post by busrider »

It might be a tram desto, but it almost certainly wouldn't be a train desto...
The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

And definitely not a tram desto - trams did not go to Osborne.
Bus Preservation Association of South Australia https://www.bpasa.org.au/
Tramway Museum St. Kilda https://www.trammuseumadelaide.com/
National Railway Museum, Port Adelaide https://nrm.org.au/
leyland4ever

Post by leyland4ever »

I couldn't resist ringing Mr Pickwick just to see what the roll might be, and got essentially the same information as Centralian.

The person I spoke to read out the destiations which were visible (the roll is not completely rolled out):

OSBORNE
LARGS NORTH
SEABOURNE ROAD
PROSPECT
BLAIR ATHOL
MITCHAM
TORRENS PARK
LOWER MITCHAM
MALVERN
UNLEY
VICTORIA SQUARE
MINIMUM FARE 15c
MINIMUM FARE 20c
FULL
HACKNEY
ST PETERS

This dates it as a 1969 roll (ie the one immediately prior to the 1970 roll pictured early in this thread), and first appeared on the one-man Daimler Roadliners (201-235) introduced that year. They were also fitted retrospectively to the 30 AEC Regal V1s (101-130) as they were converted from three-door to 2-door omo configuration, and to the 16 Leyland Worldmasters which were converted to omo in 1968, and also to prototype AEC Swift 401, Deutz 250, and Mercedes 260.

They were all replaced towards the end of 1970 by the 1970 type rolls as pictured earlier in this thread. Consequently, there were about 70 pairs of rolls made redundant with only about a year's use, which explains their good condition.

The MTT actually sold some at their Royal Show stand, probably in 1971, at 10 cents each!

These rolls were actually a re-print of the 1962 rolls introduced on the Leyland and AEC three-door buses when route numbers were introduced. However, they were printed on a thicker material, which was a brighter white, and also had a glossier black ink, which increased their legibility.

A few names were added, which had not been on the 1962 rolls, eg Novar Gardens, Ingle Farm, Victoria Square.

It is the "Victoria Square' sign on this one that has enabled me to be quite specific about it - it was not on the 1962 rolls; otherwise, without seeing it, it could also have been a 1962 roll. Centralian's information that it was in good condition is further confirmation.

A word of caution to anyone contemplating buying it (they quoted me $1,200) - it may not be a complete roll.

I got the impression that OSBORNE was the first name on the roll, and it was only unrolled at the other end. If this is right, it is missing the first twelve or so names, from the cross-linked Anzac Highway and Torrens Road routes (SOMERTON, GRAYMORE, GORDON ST, MORPHETT RD, MARION RD, SOUTH RD, CROYDON, KILKENNY, WOODVILLE NORTH, CHELTENHAM & PORT ADELAIDE).

There could be more names missing from the other end as well. For the price they want, I would be wanting a complete roll!

If anyone is contemplating purchasing it, and wants to be sure, please PM me - I have an indentical complete roll, and can give you a complete list of what should be on it.

Cheers

Trevor
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

I went past today and took a photo in the window. The ruffled bottom is after the recent enquiries and they haven't bothered to smooth it out again, the while piece in the middle bottom I think is a piece of paper attached to the Christmas lights and not a tear. I note the top of the scroll has a white edging, but given the earlier images of other scrolls on this post it doesn't appear long enough with some scrolling at the bottom.
Adelaide desto..jpg
Adelaide desto..jpg (126.5 KiB) Viewed 15958 times
jayd

Post by jayd »

Just found one on eBay, item 251313449137 if anyone's still looking (and looking to spend).

Ends 04 Aug, 2013 07:15:18 AEST, starting price $890, buy it now at $1157. Pick up only in Adelaide.
turbo54

Post by turbo54 »

Looking at selling my Kirkaldy scroll (the left one at the top).
I see that the above one on ebay didn't sell which is the same as my right one at the top.
So what are they worth? I have had some fairly large offers but never could part with them. They are history. But I have 2 and really cant mount them next to each other so have deceided to let one go.
Please call me if you are interested. Pick up in Adelaide or can post.

0434 943 058
Heath
MKC

Post by MKC »

Looking for adelaide bus scroll with either suburbs Prospect or West Croydon. Love the detail dates and history discussing the changes and variables with these items.
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

MKC wrote:Looking for adelaide bus scroll with either suburbs Prospect or West Croydon. Love the detail dates and history discussing the changes and variables with these items.
The one with an image immediately above here, that I posted back in 2013, is still sitting in the window of Mr Pickwicks Antiques in Katoomba NSW 5 years on. Same price I assume. Has 'Prospect' which is visible in the image.

Return to “Buy / Swap / Sell”