Good Friday Bunzel

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Mark V
Favourite Vehicle: Veolia 133

Good Friday Bunzel

Post by Mark V »

Here is a few of my pic's from the day.. starting with a visit to the Royal Eastershow at Olympic Park to check out the bus action after being inspired by recent posts.. followed by a visit to Hurstville to see some of the Rail bus action before catching a delightful Telford 0405 back home. :D

Cheers Adam
wallace

Re: Good Friday Bunzel

Post by wallace »

In regards to Telford's vehicles on Rail Bus duties, I thought the maximum age for a rail bus was 12 years old, but a quick check of the fleet lists reveals that the Merc 0405 and Man SL200 shows that they are from 1988 and 1989 respectively.
So my question is, 'How do they get away with it'? Unless I have some thing wrong about this??
Mecedes Benz 0405 with Custom 510 Body=Good Bus/Rattle Free Motoring
hurstville1

Post by hurstville1 »

Great photos there 8203!

Give us a buzz if your going for another bunzel on Monday :wink:

Thanks, Vince
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Emm Kay Vee wrote:
wallace wrote:In regards to Telford's vehicles on Rail Bus duties, I thought the maximum age for a rail bus was 12 years old, but a quick check of the fleet lists reveals that the Merc 0405 and Man SL200 shows that they are from 1988 and 1989 respectively.
So my question is, 'How do they get away with it'? Unless I have some thing wrong about this??
Incorrect.

Without going in to too many technicalities of the MSBC's etc, the operators must have an average fleet age of 12 years old.
I was under the impression that the MSBC did NOT apply to rail replacement services but that it had different rules which didi restrict vehicles to a certain age. I am not sure whether that was 12 or some other value.

For instance Telfords without any route services would not be subject to any MSBC.
Living in the Shire.
Bovways

Post by Bovways »

Fleet Lists wrote:
Emm Kay Vee wrote:
Incorrect.

Without going in to too many technicalities of the MSBC's etc, the operators must have an average fleet age of 12 years old.
I was under the impression that the MSBC did NOT apply to rail replacement services but that it had different rules which didi restrict vehicles to a certain age. I am not sure whether that was 12 or some other value.

For instance Telfords without any route services would not be subject to any MSBC.
Back when rail tenders were awarded on a weekly basis there used to be a maximum age of 12 years for vehicles on rail contracts; although this seemed to be policed with different amounts of vigour depending on who the contractor was awarded to. Certainly when I was preparing rail bids for NX Westbus, we had a vehicle sent back to the shed for having a body age of 11 years 9 months but a chassis age of 12 years 3 months! (or something similar). When other operators had the contract, it seemed anything up to 20 years old was free game!

Now that rail replacement has moved to long contracts (I think maybe 5 years?), the requirement is an average age of the fleet of 15 years.

C :)
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Thanks for that piece of information.

But could you expand on the definition of "fleet"?

Does that mean the fleet which is being used on the day irrespective of who the operator is?

If say 10 Veolia buses were used, 6 Punchbowl and 5 Telford, would the averago age be calculated over the 21 vehilces being used?

If that is the case with Veolia and Punchbowl teding to use newer buses, the use of older Telford buses would not break the rules.
Living in the Shire.
TheLoneGunMan
Favourite Vehicle: My Motorhome

Post by TheLoneGunMan »

Hi Adam,

Great pictures mate, I don't really care if Telfords vehicles are too old because, they add a touch of colour out on the road. I wouldn't mind seeing the red and black paint lines curve up the back instead of being straight to blend in with their new sign writing.
RailwayBus
Favourite Vehicle: Train or tram.

Post by RailwayBus »

Nice photos.

I see the word "Bunzel" has spread into North Korea. :wink: :P :lol:

Whats the route 2B-207? Thats a very funny route number. :?

Cheers
RailwayBus
All views expressed are strictly my own and do not represent my employer or anyone else.
hubert

Post by hubert »

RailwayBus wrote:Nice photos.

I see the word "Bunzel" has spread into North Korea. :wink: :P :lol:

Whats the route 2B-207? Thats a very funny route number. :?

Cheers
RailwayBus
Why does Veolia and Punchbowl have to put some (run? shift?) numbers into the desto, whereas other operators seem to cope without this piece of (generally useless to the public) information?
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Yes Veolia (and Punchbowl) show the shift number in the desto for Special Event and Rail Replacement services. On Punchbowl buses the shift number is in smaller font which makes it easier to distinguish it from the route number.

So this bus is operating on route 2B with the rest being the shift number.

Other operators subtracting to Veolia on Veolia routes have also being displaying this shift number on cardboard in the windscreen - see photo of Caringbah m/o 8839 which shows shift 607. One other operator I saw yesterday also showed the word "shift" with the three digit number.

The first digit of the shift number is usually the same as the route number (ignoring any alpha suffix) but this may not always be the case if a shift operates over multiple routes on the same day.
Living in the Shire.
Bovways

Post by Bovways »

Fleet Lists wrote:Thanks for that piece of information.

But could you expand on the definition of "fleet"?

Does that mean the fleet which is being used on the day irrespective of who the operator is?

If say 10 Veolia buses were used, 6 Punchbowl and 5 Telford, would the averago age be calculated over the 21 vehilces being used?

If that is the case with Veolia and Punchbowl teding to use newer buses, the use of older Telford buses would not break the rules.
Yes that is correct... average age across all the vehicles being used on the contract, as there is one prime contractor, and the rest are subbies.

C :)
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Again thanks for expanding that. But how the hell is anyone going to police that? With sometimes up to 50 (or possibly even more) buses being used on a contract who is going to work out the average age of buses being used at any one time, especially with multiple operators involved?
Living in the Shire.
RailwayBus
Favourite Vehicle: Train or tram.

Post by RailwayBus »

Fleet Lists wrote:Yes Veolia (and Punchbowl) show the shift number in the desto for Special Event and Rail Replacement services. On Punchbowl buses the shift number is in smaller font which makes it easier to distinguish it from the route number.

So this bus is operating on route 2B with the rest being the shift number.

Other operators subtracting to Veolia on Veolia routes have also being displaying this shift number on cardboard in the windscreen - see photo of Caringbah m/o 8839 which shows shift 607. One other operator I saw yesterday also showed the word "shift" with the three digit number.

The first digit of the shift number is usually the same as the route number (ignoring any alpha suffix) but this may not always be the case if a shift operates over multiple routes on the same day.
Thanks for explaining that, and very quickly as well! Now I have to echo Huberts comments here...
Hubert wrote:Why does Veolia and Punchbowl have to put some (run? shift?) numbers into the desto, whereas other operators seem to cope without this piece of (generally useless to the public) information?
Yes.... why does this have to be on the headboard? It's confusing, I thought it was a route number :P

In Melbourne we use laminated cards with the run number (as we call them) on it.
All views expressed are strictly my own and do not represent my employer or anyone else.
Andrew
Administrator

Post by Andrew »

Passengers don't actually look at the front of the bus anyway do they?

The big numbers look a bit silly I will freely admit, however, makes it easier for some bus marshalls to see the number from a distance.

Having said that, I do like the smaller numbers that Punchbowl have started using in the last couple of weeks.
Job done.
fm2790

Post by fm2790 »

If I am not mistaken wasn't 1B service done by STA MonaVale before? How long ago did Foest take over route 1B?
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

You've taken some good shots there Mark V.
Mark V

Post by Mark V »

Dave Wilson wrote:You've taken some good shots there Mark V.
Thanks Dave.. I'm slowly getting beter :D
TheLoneGunMan wrote:Hi Adam,

Great pictures mate, I don't really care if Telfords vehicles are too old because, they add a touch of colour out on the road. I wouldn't mind seeing the red and black paint lines curve up the back instead of being straight to blend in with their new sign writing.
Yeah ive always been a fan of the Telfords fleet too.. even more so since they got the 0405's
hurstville1 wrote:Great photos there 8203!

Thanks, Vince
Wrong forum mate.. but thanks anyway. :P

Cheers Adam
Andrew
Administrator

Post by Andrew »

fm2790 wrote:If I am not mistaken wasn't 1B service done by STA MonaVale before? How long ago did Foest take over route 1B?
It has been shared by Forest and Shorelink for some time now. Occasionally they also assist on 1A.
Job done.
Andrew
Administrator

Post by Andrew »

Fleet Lists wrote:Again thanks for expanding that. But how the hell is anyone going to police that? With sometimes up to 50 (or possibly even more) buses being used on a contract who is going to work out the average age of buses being used at any one time, especially with multiple operators involved?
Bus rego numbers are recorded by the rail marshalls - maybe someone from RailCorp looks at the Bus Aus fleet lists on a Monday to check! :shock:
Job done.
Bovways

Post by Bovways »

Andrew wrote:
Fleet Lists wrote:Again thanks for expanding that. But how the hell is anyone going to police that? With sometimes up to 50 (or possibly even more) buses being used on a contract who is going to work out the average age of buses being used at any one time, especially with multiple operators involved?
Bus rego numbers are recorded by the rail marshalls - maybe someone from RailCorp looks at the Bus Aus fleet lists on a Monday to check! :shock:
Occassionally RailCorp auditors will do spot checks of vehicles build plates.
DarrenH

Post by DarrenH »

Looks like you had a good day Bunzeling on Good Friday. I like the shot of the Telford's Merc 0405 driving over the top of the roundabout.Reminds me of a roundabout at the Salamander Centre :lol:
Mark V

Post by Mark V »

Yeah it was a great day out.. I knew when I got off that Telfords 0405 that the roundabout was the spot to get it heading back to Hurstville.. its currently my computer's wallpaper too :lol:

Cheers Adam

Return to “Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE”