• Advertisement

Wonderful Worldmasters and that Campbell & Mannix style

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)

Wonderful Worldmasters and that Campbell & Mannix style

Postby Herbert » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:46 pm

More gems from the camera of Colin Davison - this time of wonderful Worldmasters and the strong influence of Campbell & Mannix on a decade of Perth bus design.

Later becoming a subsidiary of Metro, Campbell & Mannix's style of body constructed on Leyland Royal Tigers & Worldmasters set the standard for most Perth buses until the BET-derived style was adopted in the mid-1960s. I don't know whether the design was entirely their own, or whether it was copied from another (perhaps English?) source. In any case, it was one of a few style that distinctively said "Perth" - and of which I am unashamedly fond.

Originally built with a short windscreen, former Metro 27 retained its fleet no on takeover & was later rebuilt to the deeper windscreen design. It had one of the early steel-framed Campbell & Mannix bodies, unlike its sister bus, 22, lurking in the background of this view, which had its wood-framed C&M body replaced in 1965 with a Comeng-derived style by Bolton:

The first batches of new buses purchased by the MTT featured the C&M design, including those built by Howard Porter or, in the case of 262, Bolton:

Having deeper windscreens from new were the 410-454 batch of Worldmasters, delivered between August 1960 and November 1962. Again the C&M style prevails with the bodying being shared amongst four different bodybuilders (C&M, Howard Porter, Bolton, Martin Nixon). These looked great in the 2nd MTT livery with the double-beading around the front. Two of this batch are preserved.

418:

419:

444:

449:

With the 520-549 batch there was a change to electric-shift gear selectors & Beclawat windows, but the basic body design remained little changed, even amongst a couple of examples that were bodied by a fifth builder, Motor Body Builders (a former Scarborough BS subsidiary), as this Bruce Harris photo shows:

549:

The final group, 550-599, featured 2-doors, with the design having evolved rather than changed:

Note, however, that whilst 599 was the highest numbered & also held the honour of being the last Worldmaster in service, it wasn't the last bus delivered to the MTT with that body style (rather, 580 was). By this stage, however, the company responsible for the design had ceased bodying buses for the MTT. Their last contribution was the re-body of one of the early Metro Worldmasters, 17, seen here on loan to the Department of Mental Health. Its September 1965 body sharing many of the features of the younger 599:
Get the gen, see the shots: www.perthbus.info
Herbert

Favourite Vehicle: rather partial to B12BLEAs!

Re: Wonderful Worldmasters and that Campbell & Mannix style

Postby system improver » Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:39 pm

Herbert wrote:... Campbell & Mannix's style of body constructed on Leyland Royal Tigers & Worldmasters set the standard for most Perth buses until the BET-derived style was adopted in the mid-1960s. I don't know whether the design was entirely their own, or whether it was copied from another (perhaps English?) source.

It would be nice to be able to trace the origins of designs - to find out just where the "inspiration" came from and how much of the final design was due to the designers and how much due to the engineers. There is a little bit of some South African bus designs of the 50s in the C&M design. I wonder where Campbell and/or Mannix came from, if indeed, the company is named after individuals.
system improver

Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Postby Atlantean » Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:49 pm

Why don't they make buses like these anymore? :cry:
I love the smell of bus exhaust in the morning!
Atlantean

Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Worldmaster

Postby ALBION1881 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:04 pm

What do you reckon herbert a distance cousin that I got from the leon batmans collection do you think any difference between the Mtt perth buses and this one from mcvicars.
ALBION1881

Postby Herbert » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:33 am

There is some resemblance there, Albion1881. As system improver said, it certainly would be interesting to unearth the origins of the design. Yes, Campbell & Mannix were real people and their enterprise would date back to at least the 1920s. I remember once having the daughter of one of them (by then an elderly lady) on my bus & we got chatting. I've oft kicked myself for not interrogating her a little further or perhaps quizzing her as to whether any artefacts existed in their family treasures. There is some information contained in the Metro minutes regarding the takeover of C&M, but I can't recall having seen anything that has dealt with their cessation (unlike Martin Nixon, for example, which we know was bought out by Freighter).
Get the gen, see the shots: www.perthbus.info
Herbert

Favourite Vehicle: rather partial to B12BLEAs!

Postby Leyland B21 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:52 am

nice history there to Herbert, suburbs that are long since built up.

recognise alot of the places these photos were taken, some of which have long gone, including the routes themselves!!!
You can take the boy out of Armadale W.A but you cant take Armadale out of the boy!!!
Leyland B21

Favourite Vehicle: Former Perth B21 /#32

Postby Suzanne » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:55 pm

Hi all of you bus enthusiasts!
I was just watching the footy on tv and saw a picture of an old Perth bus. It reminded me about my Grandad, Stanley Walter Mannix, who was indeed a real person, who built bus bodies. so, I googled "Campbell & Mannix" and was delighted to discover lots of information about his buses. My mum will be really touched :D to see all the interest about his buses on the net when I show her. Thanks for your interest and enthusiasm in his Perth buses.
Suzanne

• Advertisement

Return to Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE