Geelong - November 1998

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Geelong - November 1998

Post by system improver »

These were the days when GTS (Geelong Transit System) reigned supreme. The blue and white with GTS signage seemed to be a sensible idea. The timetables were coordinated and the people in Geelong understood that they had "system". Alas, this has deteriorated, at least as far as livery is concerned, over the last ten years. Anyway, here are some pics taken in November 1998. As a challenge, I'll leave it to one of our younger members (with respect to me anyway) to fill in the gen details:

PS. Feel free to right click and save any of my pics.
skystar320
Favourite Vehicle: PMC160 + Orana Body

Re: Geelong - November 1998

Post by skystar320 »

Excellent Shots!!!!!

I love the PMC Commuter body........ :D

Welcome Aboard
melbtransport
Favourite Vehicle: All Kefford and SITA Buses

Post by melbtransport »

Love those shots :D
キャンベラ僕の電車と市電の写真集 いろいろメルボルンの市電の写真 Hodgsoŋzz |†ちょ₠眽Ⅴ眾蜴繁ȴ ŋ†|™™“贡献所有力量给孩子希望 冲破一切阻挡 用大家的爱 打败虚幻世界的罪恶安排 请相信未来 ”₠眽??Ⅴ眾蜴繁ȴ ŋ
stevegj52
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo Bus & Coaches

Post by stevegj52 »

Thanks for the photos System Improver,A lot has changed since those days, Benders gone (now part of Kefford Group well until next month),as has Bellarine transit/Advance now part of McHarry's.Only Buses that have the GTS livery are the ones operated by McHarry's, Kefford (Benders)have thier Green white Livery.
Steve
Last edited by stevegj52 on Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Volvo B8R,green efficiency built in
RailwayBus
Favourite Vehicle: Train or tram.

Post by RailwayBus »

stevegj52 wrote:Thanks for the photos System Improver,A lot has changed since those days, Benders gone ,as has Bellarine transit/Advance now part of McHarry's.Only Buses that have the GTS livery are the ones operated by McHarry's, Kefford (Benders)have thier Green white Livery.
Steve
Benders are still there, as a branding anyway.
All views expressed are strictly my own and do not represent my employer or anyone else.
beddy
Favourite Vehicle: Thomas Tours No.7 (Mine)

Post by beddy »

Great photos system improver. You can definately see the 1990's style in the livelys which certainly looks good them some of the ones today.
Never Fear, Bedford's Are Here!
Trolley Bus Racer
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B58M Trolley Bus

Post by Trolley Bus Racer »

Whats happened to the Gassies? still there? Converted? Sold on?
Stagecoach Wellington Crew
Tranz Metro Crew

Now In The Eastern Islands Of Australia!
Mercedes
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz

Post by Mercedes »

Trolley Bus Racer wrote:Whats happened to the Gassies? still there? Converted? Sold on?
all are now diesels.

That gas pod on the 0405N is tiny :shock:
Proud 0305G x2 and 0405 x1 owner
Mitch
Favourite Vehicle: VH-VUB

Post by Mitch »

Third and fourth photo's buses are still in use, travel on them regularly.
wongm

Post by wongm »

Here are some of my recollections from the late 1990s and early 2000s, as it was when I started catching the bus to and from school in Geelong every day.

- The low floor bus pictured was the first ones in Geelong, it was one of three (?) bought at the same time, with all wearing the same livery. I beleive they were the only ones in the Benders fleet to have opening windows the entire length of the bus? I think they were the only low floors in Geelong to have motorised wheelchair ramps, the later buses had manual ones.
- The Cooks bus on route 11 (NOU 322) was the first bus in Geelong to have push buttons for the next stop alarms (I'm not sure about McHarry's, I never went to that side of the network). The earlier natural gas buses only had pull cords.
- I seem to recall that Benders also had natural gas powered buses, with the "Breath Easy" lettering down the side. If they didn't then the Cooks buses must have been used on routes 14/15/16 (Belmont / Highton)

I had a bit of a ramble here as well:
http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... 94#p227094
Railway Photo Gallery: http://railgallery.wongm.com/
Mitch
Favourite Vehicle: VH-VUB

Post by Mitch »

wongm wrote:Here are some of my recollections from the late 1990s and early 2000s, as it was when I started catching the bus to and from school in Geelong every day.

- The low floor bus pictured was the first ones in Geelong, it was one of three (?) bought at the same time, with all wearing the same livery. I beleive they were the only ones in the Benders fleet to have opening windows the entire length of the bus?
All the non-airconditioned low-floors that Benders have (so, I guess all the ex-CNGS?) have opening windows the entire length of the bus. There's a (maybe more than one) Benders bus still running around with it's gas pod on the top. I'm pretty sure it's #23 but don't hold me to it.

Also, I'm sad to say that the days where you see GTS buses on route service are now numbered.. McHarry's is repainting it's GTS liveried buses into the corporate chevron livery. The only GTS liveried buses that will be left are the three school-buses (ex route-service) that Benders have.

Thanks,
Mitchul [;
konvict

Post by konvict »

Excellent photos i like all of them 12years earlier but still looks good keep sharing .

Return to “Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE”