• Advertisement

The History of Kefford Routes - Part 3 (Westrans: Sitch)

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)

The History of Kefford Routes - Part 3 (Westrans: Sitch)

Postby system improver » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:33 am

In January 1988, the Kefford Corp acquired the Sitch operations in the western suburbs of Melbourne. The Sitch connection with transport in the area dated from 1929, and its principal route for many years was Route 109A (renumbered 409 in 1971) Footscray - Yarraville. It is somewhat ironic that the last scheduled service under Kefford ownership will be on this very route in exactly one month's time (the 10pm from Yarraville on 1/2/09).

Here are some vehicles operated by Sitch on this route. Sitch was a long time purchaser of CAC Bedfords. First, a flat screen, GEX 546 new in Sept 1954 as Sitch Number 3 and seen here working a route acquired by Sitch from Joiner (Altona Bus Lines) in 1967, having been renumbered 53:

The first curved screen SB in the Melb metro area (and the second built) went to Sitch in Sept 1957 as GRZ 928, seen here at the Footscray terminus:

And one of the last curved screens produced was HHW 284 in February 1961 and seen here at the Yarraville terminus:

All photographs come from the Graeme Turnbull Collection.
Last edited by system improver on Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
system improver

Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Re: The History of Kefford - Part 3 (Westrans: Sitch)

Postby stevegj52 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:57 am

Good photos System Improver, the CAC'S with the curved windscreen were certainly a smart looking bus.

Steve
Volvo B8R,green efficiency built in
stevegj52

Favourite Vehicle: Volvo Bus & Coaches

Postby Bus Riders » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:04 am

Great history there! Any photos of the later Beddies in Sitch livery that you would like to post?
A Red and Cream with emerald green lining Coachmaster bodied AEC Reliance AH 505, ahhh, now there's a real bus!
Bus Riders

Favourite Vehicle: Why, m/o156 of course!

Postby system improver » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:11 pm

I would welcome any additional photos of Sitch vehicles - especially in colour.
system improver

Postby Carlisle 8 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:52 pm

Thank you for posting the Bedfords, system improver.

What particularly interested me, was that all three buses had nasty "el cheapo" hand operated turn and stop indicators. The W.A. Government Tramways installed the same (or similar) indicators on its buses, replacing the usual type, which were more complex and therefore sometimes needed repairs. I had always thought that the Tramways el cheapos were a nasty home made type.

It is also interesting to note that all three buses still had the hand operated devices, despite the installation of flashing turn indicators. I wonder whether it was because the operator hadn't got around to removing the old devices, or whether Victorian regulations precluded that.
Carlisle 8

Favourite Vehicle: A.E.C. Regal III.

Postby 1whoknows » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:03 am

Generally the former though some operators did remove them later on.
Cats are best.
1whoknows

Postby system improver » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:14 am

Carlisle 8 wrote:Thank you for posting the Bedfords, system improver.

What particularly interested me, was that all three buses had nasty "el cheapo" hand operated turn and stop indicators. The W.A. Government Tramways installed the same (or similar) indicators on its buses, replacing the usual type, which were more complex and therefore sometimes needed repairs. I had always thought that the Tramways el cheapos were a nasty home made type.

It is also interesting to note that all three buses still had the hand operated devices, despite the installation of flashing turn indicators. I wonder whether it was because the operator hadn't got around to removing the old devices, or whether Victorian regulations precluded that.

I have decided to respond to Carlisle 8s very interesting point by establishing another thread:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=37635&p=424499#p424499
system improver

Re: The History of Kefford Routes - Part 3 (Westrans: Sitch)

Postby system improver » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:16 pm

system improver

• Advertisement

Return to Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE