• Advertisement

Classic Freighter Designs - Part 1 (Bridgland's)

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)

Classic Freighter Designs - Part 1 (Bridgland's)

Postby system improver » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:17 pm

It is probably true to say that there are at least three types of bus & coach pictures: Brand new (rare), in depot shots (common) and in service shots (even more common). Each has its merits. However, it will come as no surprise to board members with a sharp eye that I am rather partial to brand new shots. As a youngster, I loved spotting a brand new bus and taking one of the first trips on it (unfortunately, I was sans camera in those days). Paradoxically, I also loved the oldest vehicles at the time, maybe because they were on the way out and becoming less noticeable. Of course, this left common or garden buses in a difficult position and they were often taken for granted, until (perhaps) it was too late.

Anyway, the John Masterton Collection contains a number of Freighter bodied vehicles that must have been snapped when new and probably before delivery. Just when, and how and from whom John acquired these photographs I do not know. I assume that they are "Official" Freighter photographs and, as such, may exist in many collections. There is no notation on the photographs as to who is the actual photographer, I dare say that companies had their own favourite studio which they used for many years. Some very large organisations were able to employ a full time photographer, like the MMTB, but most often it was simply a neighbouring outside studio that was called in whenever a new bus was completed, if the photo was taken on behalf of the manufacturer, or delivered, if the photo was taken on behalf of the purchaser.

So here are the first two from the series - two buses delivered to Bridgland's and both Classic designs (in my opinion).

The first is their No 3, an Albion Aberdonian, reg SA 13.686, from 1958. The colour scheme is cream with a red band lined with white. Everything seems to be "in proportion" in this classic design.Image

And now their No 12, a Commer/CMV (Commercial Motor Vehicles of Adelaide ) which was a modified Commer Avenger HD 510 chassis with a TS.3 diesel engine, reg 16.504 from 1960. It came to Melbourne on interstate trips. Another classic design.

Both vehicles were acquired by the STA in 1974. Once again, I would welcome any additional information or corrections on these vehicles.
system improver

Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Re: Classic Freighter Designs - Part 1 (Bridgland's)

Postby STA 1440 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:23 pm

Are these two beautiful vehicles still in a substantial existence somewhere?

Great pics, great buses! :wink: :D
STA 1440

Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA B10M 1440/2405

Postby The Inspector » Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:33 pm

B58 Howler wrote:Are these two beautiful vehicles still in a substantial existence somewhere?

Doubt it very much, not much has survived from that period.
Has AdMet CB80 fever
The Inspector

Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Postby TT » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:07 pm

Just love the size of the fleet numbers. Certainly couldn't miss them!
TT

Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz 0500-LE

Postby B59 Volvo » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:24 am

Thank you very much for the photos

The Bridglands name has been exquisitively written on the bodywork !

What is the purpose of the aerial on the front of the Commer ? I didn't imagine two-way radio was used on buses then.

I believe some of those Freighter bodies of that era were fitted with "pram racks" on the back. I cannot recall ever seeing a pram rack on the rear of any bus, so I assume they were removed long before my time !
B59 Volvo

Postby system improver » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:37 pm

B59 Volvo wrote:Thank you very much for the photos

The Bridglands name has been exquisitively written on the bodywork !

What is the purpose of the aerial on the front of the Commer ? I didn't imagine two-way radio was used on buses then...

Yes, the days of such sign writers are almost numbered, but not completely. Gary Driver of Driver Bus Lines still uses a professional sign writer for that perfect effect. His restoration of the Pioneer PD 4107 is evidence of this.

I asssume the antenna was for a simple radio. Just why it was placed where it was, who knows?
system improver

Postby THE INFORMANT » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:56 pm

Watts of Wollongong had a virtually identical unit to the Freighter Albion Aberdonian inthe picture above.
"I am the Crackmister"
THE INFORMANT

Location: Warrigal Charters Illawarra's Premier Charter bus operator setting the Standard
Favourite Vehicle: Denning Phoneix

Postby VIKing » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:32 pm

There were two of these Freighter bodied Aberdonians in the Bridglands fleet, numbers 3 and 6. Both were re-engined with perkins motors and passed to the Government with the takeover in 1974, they became numbers 7203 and 7206. Henstridges in Adelaide operated similar vehicles, at least six numbered 3, 14, 15, 16, 17 and 18. It was one of these that passed through a couple of NSW operators to wind up with Watts in Wollongong.
VIKing

Postby THE INFORMANT » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:45 pm

I am ashamed to say i helped cut the Watts unit up with the Oxy Torch in the late 1980's. Watts operated 3 Aberdonians. 2 were scraped and one ended up as a shed at Jamberoo.
"I am the Crackmister"
THE INFORMANT

Location: Warrigal Charters Illawarra's Premier Charter bus operator setting the Standard
Favourite Vehicle: Denning Phoneix

Postby Doc68 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:41 pm

THE INFORMANT wrote:I am ashamed to say i helped cut the Watts unit up with the Oxy Torch in the late 1980's. Watts operated 3 Aberdonians. 2 were scraped and one ended up as a shed at Jamberoo.

not a great shot of it from 1971
Crown and Corrimal Streets 1971.JPG
Crown and Corrimal Streets 1971.JPG (59.49 KiB) Viewed 1827 times
'GM 2strokes, still the most efficient engine ever developed for converting fuel into noise'.
Food has replaced sex in my life now I can't even get into my own pants
Doc68

Favourite Vehicle: Technics sl1200

Postby mrobsessed » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:20 pm

In 30 seconds the driver will pick up his lunch from the fish and chip shop.
mrobsessed

Favourite Vehicle: AEC Reliance

Postby system improver » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:59 pm

Doc68 wrote:...not a great shot of it from 1971...

Actually, the bus in picture is an AEC Reliance with body by R V Piper, one of two that went to NSW in 1971. It it either MO 6222, new to Ventura in 10/60 as their number 30, HGB 485 or MO 6220, new to Ventura 3/61 as their number 45, HJC 104. Here is a Paul Nicholson pic of the latter at Hills:

system improver

• Advertisement

Return to Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE