Another QANTAS Emergancy (11/11/08)

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
The Inspector
Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Another QANTAS Emergancy (11/11/08)

Post by The Inspector »

Whilst working at the depot today a QANTAS prop plane (I dont know its type) had an emergancy situation. It apparently broke a drive shaft and had to be taken back by tug.

The Fire emergency crews were on the scene (3 trucks) aswell as 3 Sydney Airport Corperation utes. Passengers were transfered toa QANTAS bus (Northcoast/ Scania) and taken to the terminal.

Here are some pics.

Unfortunetly a large annoying cloud came over as the plane was being towed so the pic is rather dull. The transfer bus was a bit to far away for a decent pic and I also missed the 3rd fire truck which was a Scania unit.
Has AdMet CB80 fever
Simes
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz

Re: Another QANTAS Emergancy (11/11/08)

Post by Simes »

http://19302413.blogspot.com/

3092, last bus on George Street - 23rd October 2015 7:50pm
The Inspector

Post by The Inspector »

Simes wrote:It was a Dash 8
Thanks Simes but it still is a Dash 8 :wink:
Has AdMet CB80 fever
bussijaam

Post by bussijaam »

And it doesn't sound like an emergency to me; it sounds like an ordinary Mx failure.

Let's not get carried away with the use of the words "Qantas Emergency". Unless this aircraft was taking off at the time, or indeed airborne, it can hardly be counted as an emergency. No lives were presumably in danger, and the only thing lost was time.
The Inspector

Post by The Inspector »

bussijaam wrote:And it doesn't sound like an emergency to me; it sounds like an ordinary Mx failure.

Let's not get carried away with the use of the words "Qantas Emergency". Unless this aircraft was taking off at the time, or indeed airborne, it can hardly be counted as an emergency. No lives were presumably in danger, and the only thing lost was time.
Its still an ememrgency when rescue teams are required to attend, as the plane was already on the ground and had just shut down the engines when I saw it no one knows if it had just landed or about to take off.

Unless you know the story and can shed some light I will stick with calling it what I have.

I didnt make the title up to have a stab at QANTAS but just stating what I saw. I could have called it "Yet anaother QANTAS mishap" or many other things.
Has AdMet CB80 fever
bussijaam

Post by bussijaam »

Rescue teams always attend such events, so that on the off-chance something big does happen, they're already on the scene. Just routine procedure.

The reason Im against calling it an emergency is precisely because I CAN'T find any mention of the incident in any news outlet. Given the recent spate of Qantas bashing articles that have appeared, if this incident was a genuine emergency, im sure it would be splashed all over the news.
The Inspector

Post by The Inspector »

bussijaam wrote: The reason Im against calling it an emergency is precisely because I CAN'T find any mention of the incident in any news outlet. Given the recent spate of Qantas bashing articles that have appeared, if this incident was a genuine emergency, im sure it would be splashed all over the news.
Maybe they were asleep or no-one mentioned it to them, they have mentioned plenty of things in the past to do with QANTAS or other planes when they were not apparently an emergancy, planes being turned back whilst still taxying to the runway for whatever reason.

I'd say the news teams just missed this one. Probaly to busy digging up stories on public transport again.
Has AdMet CB80 fever
ajw373

Post by ajw373 »

The Inspector wrote:I didnt make the title up to have a stab at QANTAS but just stating what I saw. I could have called it "Yet anaother QANTAS mishap" or many other things.
You could more correctly call it days of our lives. These events are normal every day things for airlines and indeed every other transport operator. It is no different to saying that every break down of failure of a part in an STA bus is an emergency or sign of poor maintenance. Aircraft like buses are machines and break down. The difference is an plane has more safeguards in place to give it the best chance of getting on the ground when something goes wrong. I think all the recent Qantas incidents show that a) XXX happens and b) they have some bloody good staff who are trained to handle these situations.
The Inspector

Post by The Inspector »

Like I said, no-one knows if the problem occured in the air or after landing/ before take off. So it could have been worse than what it was.
Has AdMet CB80 fever

Return to “Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE”