• Advertisement

[NSW] Once upon a time ...... Servicing the airport Part 2

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)

[NSW] Once upon a time ...... Servicing the airport Part 2

Postby Centralian » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:54 pm

Like TAA, Ansett also operated a fleet of Ford R192's in the '70's but with Ansiar bodies, between their Sydney terminal in Oxford Square and the airport.

http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... pos=-18543
With Ansair bodies of 1972 these 3 Ford R192's await their passengers at the domestic terminal.

http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... pos=-18566
GRX552 was a Ford R1014 with Ansair body of 1974. Like the TAA Fords, the Ansett vehicles had a rear luggage compartment and were 33 seaters.

http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... pos=-18567
KEV645 was an example of a newer Ford chassis and Ansair body operated by Ansett Airlines on their airport to city terminal service.

http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... pos=-18574
Also operating on the airport to the city service (although as a charter operator) in the '70's was Kingsford Smith Airport Bus Service (also known as Kingsford Smith Transport - KST). Photographed in the mid '70's BIW 353 was one of 2 Bedford/Isuzus they operated with Chivers body of 1974.

http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... pos=-18575
To represent the many private operators that took tour groups to and from the airport I've selected this shot of Crossways CT674, a Mercedes Benz OC1617 with domino body of 1982.
Centralian

Re: [NSW] Once upon a time ...... Servicing the airport Part

Postby boronia » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:03 pm

Centralian wrote:
Also operating on the airport to the city service (although as a charter operator) in the '70's was Kingsford Smith Airport Bus Service (also known as Kingsford Smith Transport - KST). Photographed in the mid '70's BIW 353 was one of 2 Bedford/Isuzus they operated with Chivers body of 1974.

I have some interest in these old airport shuttle operations.

My recollections from that era are that KSABS and KST were once two separate companies in competition with each other. I am not sure what happened to the former, whether it went out of business or the two merged. There was only one operator by the early 1980s. Is that blue/white bus in the distance behind the Crossways Merc one of them??

Also I believe that they would not have been "charter operators" as such, this wasn't allowed under the old DMT rules. They had special "route licences" to operate between the airport and CBD only. Somehow KST did manage to get permission to do Government charters, they could often be seen at courthouses carting jurors around during big trials.

KST also had some HC plates, and were possibly the first operators in Sydney of "stretched limos", with a number used primarily for airline flight deck crew transfers to/from hotels; the cabin crew rode in the buses. The "limos" were actually basic Falcons with the front pass seat removed for luggage space, and facing bench seats in the back.

I would welcome clarification or further info about these operations.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again May 2018
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Favourite Vehicle: Dennis

Postby Centralian » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:13 pm

I can't claim too much knowledge here and am only quoting from an old fleet list I have. However on the Chivers bus the Kingsford Smith Transport name appears on the side, while the logo above the front wheel carries the title 'KSA Bus Service'. I am aware they operated a hire car service as a group of us hired one for an end of school formal in the early '70's. Black, black and black I think were the available liveries.
Centralian

Postby Craig » Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:38 am

That livery on the 3rd bus looks a lot like the current Sunbury Bus Service livery. :shock: Is there a connection?

Kind Regards

Craig :)
Craig

Postby Windy » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:47 am

Not too sure, but the Ansair body was built by the Ansett group, and I know Bacchus Marsh Bus Service have a few Ansair bodied vehicles.... there's a connection of sorts, LOL
Windy

Postby Sir Pompously » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:01 pm

Indeed Windy. Ansair was apart of the Ansett Transport Industries (I believe that was its name, which consisted of many different companies involving transport), and the old red Ansett 'A' was part of their logo, and I believe is on the builders plate in the Orana bodied buses of STA, the round badge on PR100.2's, and possibly alot of other Ansair bodied buses.

Very nice photos Centralian!
Heritage Officer
Retired ACT Transport Employees Club
Sir Pompously

Favourite Vehicle: Renault PR100.3

Postby dude » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:34 pm

How frequently did the services that Ansett & TAA operated in the 70's run? Did QANTAS also have a similar route running to & from the International Terminal?
dude

Postby kitkat271 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:40 pm

Was Ansair still Ansett-owned at its demise?
kitkat271

Favourite Vehicle: Double decker buses

Postby Fleet Lists » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:42 pm

Basically the Ansett and TAA services ran to take passengers from the City to the airport and in reverse virtually to meet every plane departure and arrival.

They may have had combined services where flights to/from more than one destination arrived/departed in close proximity to each other time wise.

And yes Qantas also provided such services for international flights.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby boronia » Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:27 pm

kitkat271 wrote:Was Ansair still Ansett-owned at its demise?
No, it was part of the Austral Pacific Group. Many of the STA Oranas have AP badging.
On again May 2018
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Postby Windy » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:21 pm

Nozomi500 wrote:Indeed Windy. Ansair was apart of the Ansett Transport Industries (I believe that was its name, which consisted of many different companies involving transport), and the old red Ansett 'A' was part of their logo, and I believe is on the builders plate in the Orana bodied buses of STA, the round badge on PR100.2's, and possibly alot of other Ansair bodied buses.

Very nice photos Centralian!

The Ansair Oranas I have ridden with the STA have the blue Ansair Tamworth badge, some with the guitar logo adjacent, or with the sticker with "AUS - Tamworth NSW Country Best" or something similar. The earlier Ansair bodies I've seen and ridden have the Ansett red delta logo as you have mentioned.
Windy

Postby boronia » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:24 pm

The early B10BLE Oranas are shown in the fleet lists as "APG-Q" or "APG-N" (I thought they were all built at Tamworth??), perhaps this is where the name change took place. APG got the contract to supply complete vehicles, not just the body. There are AP badges on the outside, not sure what's inside.

Not sure why the notes at the bottom of the page have references to CC body plates though ??
On again May 2018
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Postby Centralian » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:47 pm

Didn't the Tamworth bodybuilding business of Ansair become 'Phoenix' or was that after Austral Pacific went down ?
Centralian

Postby boronia » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:17 pm

IIRC, after APG went under, Volvo teamed up with Jakab to form Phoenix, and take up production of the order.

Further to my earlier post, I now think Volvo may have had the contract to supply complete buses, and sub-contracted APG to provide the bodies. They got stuck when APG collapsed, as they could not supply without taking over the bodywork themselves.
On again May 2018
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

• Advertisement

Return to Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE