Once upon a time ------- Ansett Pioneer Part 4

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Centralian

Once upon a time ------- Ansett Pioneer Part 4

Post by Centralian »

Ansett Pioneer part 4 - the PD4107: (images re-attached 6 April 2011)

BGR454.jpg
BGR454.jpg (52.87 KiB) Viewed 16735 times
As imported by Ansett Pioneer for express work (with the small windows) this PD4107 was registered BGR 454.

27 PD4107 unit were imported by Ansett Pioneer new up to 1968. These units together with the PD4106 were powered by GM8V71 engines.
87.jpg
87.jpg (57.93 KiB) Viewed 16735 times
As they were replaced on express work by MC8's the PD4107 were diverted to tour work and had larger upright windows fitted. Seen here is ACT registered mo87.
TV634.jpg
TV634.jpg (48.86 KiB) Viewed 16773 times
A profile shot of the PD4106 with window modification, this unit being registered TV634.
634.jpg
634.jpg (45.26 KiB) Viewed 16773 times
Further service after Ansett Pioneer:
29.jpg
29.jpg (36.86 KiB) Viewed 16773 times
Murrays were the big purchaser of 2nd hand PD4107's from Ansett Pioneer. Seen here is MO29 which was used on their express service from Canberra to Wollongong and the NSW South Coast.
032.jpg
032.jpg (49.19 KiB) Viewed 16735 times
Another unit with Murrays was registered TV 032 for charter and tour work.
572.jpg
572.jpg (55.05 KiB) Viewed 16735 times
Murrays also ran TV572 around Sydney on their Thomas Cook contract.
Last edited by Centralian on Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Desto Dave
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Worldmaster, Tigers.

Post by Desto Dave »

:?: Anyone have any idea what was the purpose of the small window seen on the N/S above the air grille and also the O/S. Were these a destination display used in US based models? Just seems a strange location if it was.
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Post by system improver »

Not for destos. Where fitted in the US, these were closer to the door. They were on both sides of the vehicles, here and in the US. PD 4106s seemed to have something similar, but more of a rectangular panel.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

The a/c condensors were located in the grilled compartment below; the small panel was also something to do with the a/c, possibly a fresh air intake. In these buses, the a/c was ducted below the window line, rather than in the ceiling; there was also a heating system to warm the conditioned air in winter, the heating controls were under the seats near this opening.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Ben O

Post by Ben O »

Great stuff! I've always wanted to compile or see a list of disposals for these units, along with the MCIs and RFWs, but they were before my time.

Are there any operators in Australia who have these in service as 'vintage touring coaches'? I remember seeing a photo of one with Wayward Bus, NT, but I'm not sure if they use it or not?

Ben
mrobsessed
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Reliance

Post by mrobsessed »

Wow! MO 29 (103) was the first coach I ever drove! I love the way the spare wheel was stored behind the bumper bar, the layout of the dash, the way they handled the road... a real driver's coach, except maybe the solenoid activated reverse gear and the lack of a clutch brake.

Considering what was available on the Australian market at the time, there was no competition.
gregrudd

Post by gregrudd »

mrobsessed wrote:Wow! MO 29 (103) was the first coach I ever drove! I love the way the spare wheel was stored behind the bumper bar, the layout of the dash, the way they handled the road... a real driver's coach, except maybe the solenoid activated reverse gear and the lack of a clutch brake.

Considering what was available on the Australian market at the time, there was no competition.
So, when these came out on the Australian Market your main choices for coaches would have been either a Leyland ERT/Leopard/Panther (With either syncro or mono control/peumocyclic) and the early offerings by either Volvo/MB or the Japs
boronia

Re: Once upon a time ------- Ansett Pioneer Part 4

Post by boronia »

Centralian wrote:Ansett Pioneer part 4 - the PD4107:

Murrays were the big purchaser of 2nd hand PD4107's from Ansett Pioneer. Seen here is MO29 which was used on their express service from Canberra to Wollongong and the NSW South Coast.
This one did not get the "picture windows" conversion; Murrays got 2 or 3 of these, one was never registered but was stripped for spare parts.
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

mrobsessed wrote: I love the way the spare wheel was stored behind the bumper bar, the layout of the dash, the way they handled the road... a real driver's coach, except maybe the solenoid activated reverse gear and the lack of a clutch brake.

Got to agree there Mr O. 20 years down the track, and I still regard them as the best coach I've driven.

That reverse took a bit of getting used to at first, but only a problem when it wouldn't come out of reverse. :oops:

They did have a clutch brake, but it wore out of adjustment pretty quick. THis made it hard to get into first when stationary There were a couple, the only way you could do it, was to turn off the engine first. Apart from that I never used the clutch.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

Centralian wrote:Ansett Pioneer part 4 - the PD4107:
As imported by Ansett Pioneer for express work (with the small windows) this PD4107 was registered BGR 454.

27 PD4107 unit were imported by Ansett Pioneer new up to 1968. These units together with the PD4106 were powered by GM8V71 engines.

As they were replaced on express work by MC8's the PD4107 were diverted to tour work and had larger upright windows fitted. Seen here is ACT registered mo87.

A profile shot of the PD4106 with window modification, this unit being registered TV634.

Further service after Ansett Pioneer:

Apologies for quoting an old thread, but...
(a) isn't it great seeing these photos again?
(b) I was wondering whether anyone (eg MrO) was able to confirm whether MO29 Murrays (103) was this unit at Yornup:

Get the gen, see the shots: www.perthbus.info
system improver

And on the 23rd November, at the HCVC Display at Sandown in Melbourne, you will see one restored to all its former glory - including original Pioneer Express livery. My number one favorite coach. It will look a bit like this:

The original pictures on this thread have disapppeared. I wonder if a bit of repair work can be done.
The Cap a tan

Post by The Cap a tan »

system improver wrote: The original pictures on this thread have disapppeared. I wonder if a bit of repair work can be done.
The original pics still appear in Herberts quote of the original post. They just take a little while to appear.
system improver

Invicta Driver wrote:
system improver wrote: The original pictures on this thread have disapppeared. I wonder if a bit of repair work can be done.
The original pics still appear in Herberts quote of the original post. They just take a little while to appear.
Yes, you are correct. I assumed they were additional pics, but Herbert must have made a little adjustment to make them appear.
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

Here are those PD4107images from my original post, plus a couple of extras. If anyone is interested in any other previous posts I've done and the images are lost, bring the thread up and I'll re-post the photos. Cheers !

BGR454 at St Peters depot..jpg

act mo87.jpg

TV634.jpg
profile of TV634.jpg

ACT mo29.jpg

TV032.jpg

ACT MO88.jpg
TV572.jpg
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
mrobsessed

Post by mrobsessed »

Apologies for quoting an old thread, but...
(a) isn't it great seeing these photos again?
(b) I was wondering whether anyone (eg MrO) was able to confirm whether MO29 Murrays (103) was this unit at Yornup:

[/color]
I think that one was 105. It did the Canberra - Narooma evening service. They are my all time favourite coach as well, and my first experience of a crash box. His colection of PD4106 and PD4107s and his Commer Knocker did invoke an obsessed response! I love yards full of old stuff!
boronia

Post by boronia »

As best I can remember Murrays had only 3 of the unmodified 4107s. Two were used for the Wollongong and Narooma services, the third was never registered and was used for spare parts. They were numbered consecutively after the charter coaches (the highest number was the wreck). So the two service vehicles would have to have been 103 and 104, or 104 and 105.

The Thomas Cook units were 100 and 101. TV-572 was one of the old style plates, acquired from Canberra Coaches in 1981, it was later reregistered into the new low number series, probably TV-030
@ The Museum of Fire.
Clipper owner
Favourite Vehicle: The Ansair Flxible Clipper!

Post by Clipper owner »

I know this discussion goes way back but I couldn't help but bring it back up and try to invoke some more conversation. There were some great photos posted and comments made. As I mentioned in another thread:
Late last year I became the owner of a GM PD-4107 converted to a motorhome. For those in the know or with an interest in numbers it is the very last 4107 imported by Ansett in 1968. It was Ansett Pioneers fleet no 727 from '68 through till 1982 when it was sold to Murrays of Canberra and became their fleet no 104. A great testimate to the build of these vehicles is the condition of this coach after 40 plus years and millions of miles, it's incredible. There is really no sign of frame fatigue and all the bin catches etc all still work like new. If this coach rings a bell to anyone out there of memories behind the wheel I would love to hear from you and am also searching for photos of it either in Pioneer or Murrays livery. I think they looked great in Murrays colours and while I have managed to get hold of somes pics of their 4107's none have been of my own.

It's build no is 1215 and is one of the unmodified X Murrays vehicles eg: still has it's original windows.
Murrays rego reportedly: MO-28(ACT).
Pioneer rego's: SA RCY-673, VIC KKO-054, another I have is NSW MO-9518.
It's seems my coach was camera shy as I previously mentioned I have gathered up some great photos, many of which were posted on this forum but none carry these rego's.
Attachments
My 4107 as purchased, now getting a tidy up!
My 4107 as purchased, now getting a tidy up!
2741054_1.jpg (26.46 KiB) Viewed 16931 times
The most beautiful technologically advanced coach of it's time. The Ansair Flxible Clipper, a true classic!
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

I've now re-attached my original images to this post. Will do the same to the other Parts to this collection once I can find them in the archives.
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
benz 2

Post by benz 2 »

Hey guys, just re the old Murrays pd4107s, to the best of my recollection, having been based in Canberra during the "Jumbo Period" the fleet included: 91,92,93,94,95,96,97,98 ,99 & 102 had the large "tour" windows, and were painted in Murrays fleet colours,100&101,were same spec but painted in Thomas Cook colours[ orange and white] . 103, 104 & 105, had original pd4107 spec, 103 being used on the Wollongong to Canberra service & 104 & 105 were used on the Canberra to Narooma service.Unit 106 sat as a "donor" vehicle for spares,and to my knowledge was never registered in the Murrays fleet. Originally 95,97,98,99,100&101were Sydney based vehicles, but gradually as the Sydney fleet was updated they were transferred to the Canberra operation.At that time, mid to late 1980s my allocated vehicle was 93, and what a fantastic vehicle it was!! Very fond memories of that period of my driving career.. was more than a little sad when I got allocated 217,a new scania 113. With a strong preference for the good old GM, it wasnt long before I took over unit 241, a 2nd hand Tourmaster Murrays acquired from Express company Olympic East West. Hope this waffle clarrifies some questions, cheers :D Benz 2
mrobsessed

Post by mrobsessed »

Bump!!

Return to “Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE”