• Advertisement

Coffs Harbour Bus Lines in the 70s

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)

Postby Red and Cream » Thu May 03, 2007 1:52 pm

I have edited one of my messages above regarding ex Punchbowl buses owned by Watson identifying MO 3752 as being former m/o 693 and being an Albion and not a Leyland. The other Leyland Royal Tiger m/o 809 that is mentioned in regard to Punchbowl had a Shuttlewood body before it was modernized by Patgay.

Coincidences seem to abound between these two operators as when i went back to my photo files, i found a photo of MO 4685 at Coffs Harbour Bus Lines which was another ex Gail's bus m/o 345 a Reo with a Syd Wood body similar to m/o 5004.
Last edited by Red and Cream on Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red and Cream

Postby Chris Walsh » Fri May 04, 2007 11:59 am

Thanks for those photos, R&C.

There's bound to be dodgy info in a thread like this based on what you've seen/heard/remember/know or think you know. The good part is that people jump in and contribute with the result that the blurry bits get clarified by someone who does know.

Green Line, for Andy's benefit, was the operator of route 37, Bankstown to Punchbowl, which got absorbed into 33 which got absorbed into the 941. George Gail, the proprietor was apparently keen on London's Green Line coaches. There's a bit of pre-war Green Line body design influence in the design of 5004 come to think of it. He had a radical proposal to link Hurstville and Parramatta with an express peak hour service via the new Salt Pan Creek Bridge and Henry Lawson Drive which never eventuated. HT Saint did however cross the bridge when he acquired route 88 from West Bankstown, now 948. He ran deckers on the 37 from 1949 for a period.

5004 would have been a new plate issued in 1966. I thought Gail quit with the opening of Roselands when the 33 was combined with 37, but I'll defer to Fleet Lists on that one. Would PBC have been slack about repainting? Maybe the 37 was a later takeover.
Chris Walsh

Re: Coffs Harbour Bus Lines in the 70s

Postby robert » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:59 pm

Route 37 went to Punchbowl/GP after Gail died. Covered briefly in http://www.sydneybusroutes.com/

Interesting to hear more about Gail and how "Green Line" got its name.

Was Mr Gail known as "George" or "Harold"?
For information about private bus routes in Sydney, look at www.sydneybusroutes.com
robert

Previous

• Advertisement

Return to Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE