Page 1 of 2

The Original Camel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:09 pm
by invada1
This was Fred Caraha's own purpose built tri-deck CCMC GM

A Photo I have Treasured for many years hidden away

Image

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:00 pm
by Ben O
For those interested, this is a CC stock photo taken just after build

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:24 pm
by invada1
Ben O wrote:For those interested, this is a CC stock photo taken just after build


Your correct Ben O given to me by Greg Violet............or was it I was permitted to take the photo also for my TAFE work at the time. As I can't find the negative mother left the country years ago with all pre-my leaving home photo's.

I do have two other photo's given to me at the time I wil when I locate them post them also.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:49 pm
by Centralian
Not the only CCMC tri deck. Here's another one (ownership history unknown to me) in Bosnjaks old Church St Parramatta depot . Photo probably early '80's.
http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... pos=-13900
http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... pos=-13901


This one has more windows than the Carah one.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:15 pm
by Centralian
I just noticed the yellow/brown around the desto on the photo I've added and perhaps that too has a Carah history.

Here's another camel back coach, Hino with Freighter body of Australian Historical Tours.

Image

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:11 am
by invada1
Centralian wrote:Not the only CCMC tri deck. Here's another one (ownership history unknown to me) in Bosnjaks old Church St Parramatta depot . Photo probably early '80's.


This one has more windows than the Carah one.


This was Fred Carah's also pre the wider windows which were his idea as passengers complained of see pillars not scenery.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:19 am
by invada1
Centralian wrote:I just noticed the yellow/brown around the desto on the photo I've added and perhaps that too has a Carah history.

Here's another camel back coach, Hino with Freighter body of Australian Historical Tours.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><img src="http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u76/Centralian/Miscellaneousl/AustHistoricalTourstrideck.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"></a>


Centralian your bloods worth bottling I have been looking for this photo and asked on the forum previously but asked for the Farnbourgh Coach from Tassie.
This was a sleeper executive vehicle which had a lounge area and bar at the rear of the vehicle if I recall.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:05 am
by Centralian
This was the one and only sighting I ever made of the coach and as you can see it was behind a fence so I couldn't get a closer inspection of the interior. The photo was taken at the back of the domestic terminals at Sydney airport near the TAA hangers (as they were then). Probably mid 70's photo.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:53 am
by invada1
Centralian wrote:This was the one and only sighting I ever made of the coach and as you can see it was behind a fence so I couldn't get a closer inspection of the interior. The photo was taken at the back of the domestic terminals at Sydney airport near the TAA hangers (as they were then). Probably mid 70's photo.


As it was a Tasmanian Coach thats possibly the reason its arked at the airport fly one way tours he did a few times a year
The owner driver brought it into CCMC for some work at once or twice its was locked and keys were in head office due to fully stocked bar.
They may have some photo's I recall Greg and Boony possibly Norm and his matetaking some.
Occasionally he would store/park it there or I think he did it along with Fred Carah at a Shell servo along Woodville Rd now long gone it had secure yard.

Colour was Green mostly If I recall

I just noticed the rego plate looks like TV not sure what Tassie used back then so I could be wrong.
I think Keith Charlmers new the owner as he did many trips to Tassie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:33 pm
by Centralian
Yes it was a dark green and the writing was a lighter green/yellow combination.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:08 pm
by invada1
Centralian wrote:Yes it was a dark green and the writing was a lighter green/yellow combination.


Well its the vehicle all right this photo must have been taken after around 1972 I only aw it once after that back at CCMC he called in to pick up some thing parts I think.

He had a desto sign at one point FARNBOURGH I may have the spelling wrong here.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:50 pm
by Centralian
Here's another shot of a tri deck coach, this one with Smekels of Southpost 446 ODB. I took photo early '80's and it looks like the one above I posted earlier. Not sure though how many of these were built by CCMC and whether they all started life with Carah's.
http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... pos=-13908

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:57 pm
by invada1
Dont think its the same Centralian as the above the step hight is a give away.


Unless the front end was rebuilt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:02 pm
by Ben O
I love the Custom Coaches front on the latter. Does it have a name?

These tri-decks are fascinating. I wonder if any of them survive as sheds or half finished motorhome conversions around the place...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:23 pm
by Centralian
http://www.busaustralia.com/gallery/dis ... pos=-13909
Just for Invada1, look what I found going through my collection. Check out the streamlines aerial on the roof! In this shot the vehicle is on SA plates TIS816 and after doing some research I can confirm the chassis was a Hino BT51 with Freighter body of May 1973 and seating for 32.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:30 pm
by Centralian
From what I've been able to find (HCVA News edition 98 of May 1975) Carah had 2 triple deck coaches at that time, both RFW's. The first was built by CCMC in 1972 with body number 71.587 and a 40 seater. Fitted with GM engine which is probably the first shot in this post. The second also CCMC build had a Cummins engine and had a build date of 22 May 1973 and body number 73.77. Also a 40 seater. Both toilet equipped. I guess that is the vehicle in my post sitting in Bosnjak's Church St Parramatta yard and is also the same vehicle later with Smekels on the Gold Coast. Correct me if I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:13 pm
by boronia
Blythes at Bexley had an RFW in the late 70s, similar body from memory but I don't think a tri-level. I do recall it had the GM badging on front, but no RFW branding. A real pig to drive.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:39 am
by invada1
Just for Invada1, look what I found going through my collection. Check out the streamlines aerial on the roof! In this shot the vehicle is on SA plates TIS816 and after doing some research I can confirm the chassis was a Hino BT51 with Freighter body of May 1973 and seating for 32.

Thanks for that much appreciated ike the Coachways Merc there also

Not sure on plates but do recall the driver saying about Tassie maybe he went from SA to Tassie regularly

Thats the one it was an exceptional vehicle interior execitive style and comfort Truck and Bus did do an article on it back in the 70's but I got rid of my collection some time ago same period as the Carah stories.
maybe a post to the Moonraker link would be in order also or back to these shots
http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... 942#224942

I have just noticed in this shot the triple deck CCMC in the back ground its hard to make out but that looks like Carah's GM.
http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... 942#224942
Ben O wrote:Gosh Herbert, those things, especially the last one, look jurassic! The last shot reminds me of a shot I took of an Ashok Leyland in Delhi a few years ago!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:49 am
by invada1
Centralian wrote:From what I've been able to find (HCVA News edition 98 of May 1975) Carah had 2 triple deck coaches at that time, both RFW's. The first was built by CCMC in 1972 with body number 71.587 and a 40 seater. Fitted with GM engine which is probably the first shot in this post. The second also CCMC build had a Cummins engine and had a build date of 22 May 1973 and body number 73.77. Also a 40 seater. Both toilet equipped. I guess that is the vehicle in my post sitting in Bosnjak's Church St Parramatta yard and is also the same vehicle later with Smekels on the Gold Coast. Correct me if I'm wrong.


I guess that's right my mistake the one at Boso's yard then is the original Camel airbag suspension Fred used to call it the granny crutcher it had such high step and he installed the switch to drop it down to a reasonable height

Now some time back there was another post of a triple deck it could have been one of these vehicles but had no name on the side was an on the road shot I'll see if I can locate the post.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:50 am
by invada1
boronia wrote:Blythes at Bexley had an RFW in the late 70s, similar body from memory but I don't think a tri-level. I do recall it had the GM badging on front, but no RFW branding. A real pig to drive.


Could it have been IBC Boronia I recall a few coming through CCMC at the time and IBC's space chassis been at the Bus Show back then

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:07 am
by invada1
Centralian wrote:From what I've been able to find (HCVA News edition 98 of May 1975) Carah had 2 triple deck coaches at that time, both RFW's. The first was built by CCMC in 1972 with body number 71.587 and a 40 seater. Fitted with GM engine which is probably the first shot in this post. The second also CCMC build had a Cummins engine and had a build date of 22 May 1973 and body number 73.77. Also a 40 seater. Both toilet equipped. I guess that is the vehicle in my post sitting in Bosnjak's Church St Parramatta yard and is also the same vehicle later with Smekels on the Gold Coast. Correct me if I'm wrong.


I am just wondering did Australian Historical Tours have a second vehicle or replace this with a newer one as 32 seats seems more than I recall I know a lot of years have past but I get the feeling he had a much flatter front vehicle, which Cooma Coaches developed there accommodation coach after which had beds up the back

If anyone would know it would be one of the TRB team ??????

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:02 am
by Centralian
Blythe's I think had an Ansair bodied RFW. I'll try to find and include in a future Blytheway picture tribute.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:53 pm
by Windy
Liverpool Transport Co. had a similar double stepdeck (or triple stepdeck, depending on how you call it) IBC with a PMC progress body.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:57 pm
by Landseer
Re: RFW tri deck CCMC

Fred Carah had it built in 1972 but buy 1978 area Laurie McBeth owned the 37 footer at one stage and subbied back to Fred Carah. He changed the rear suspension to a single tag from the oringal duals.
Fred brought it back i believe and base it in the Cairns operation (Day tours) until Newmans took over . They swap it with NSW - TV070 Ex Foleys / Chester Coaches (The last 37 footer Mono made by Denning). The RFW was sold to a Church group in Albury in 1987.

The 40 footer Detroit powered (1972) was sold to Deluxe coachlines approx 1981 Still had the oringal Permatrak Suspension(when starting up) but was burnt out in WA but was rebodied (1986 approx) in Bundaberg by Stewart & Sons bus company and has now been made into a motor home

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:37 am
by invada1
Landseer wrote:Re: RFW tri deck CCMC

Fred Carah had it built in 1972 but buy 1978 area Laurie McBeth owned the 37 footer at one stage and subbied back to Fred Carah. He changed the rear suspension to a single tag from the oringal duals.
Fred brought it back i believe and base it in the Cairns operation (Day tours) until Newmans took over . They swap it with NSW - TV070 Ex Foleys / Chester Coaches (The last 37 footer Mono made by Denning). The RFW was sold to a Church group in Albury in 1987.

The 40 footer Cummins powered (1973) was sold to Deluxe coachlines approx 1981 Still had the oringal Permatrak Suspension(when starting up) but was burnt out in WA but was rebodied (1986 approx) in Bundaberg by Stewart & Sons bus company and has now been made into a motor home


Thanks Landseer a wealth of info

although I drove TV 070 I can't think which vehicle it is off hand