[ACT] My First Bus Pictures

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
Irisbus Rider
Favourite Vehicle: CC Mercedes Benz 0405

[ACT] My First Bus Pictures

Post by Irisbus Rider »

I know many of you will revolt in the fact that another ACT member will be posting PR100.2/.3 pictures, nethertheless, this will not deter me!
And also; I don't quite know how to use my camera just yet, so my pictures aren't top quality, so don't be too harsh. Here they are...

Renault PR100.2 MkI - 858 - Operating a 116 to Kippax. It was taken from the top of Belconnen Interchange, Platform 16.

The next one is a Renault PR100.2 MkII - 915 - Operating a "Radford Service", a 15 to Spence Terminus. Also taken from Platform 16 in Belconnen Interchange.

The last picture is a Dennis Dart - 141 - Departing the Interchange upon completing a 34 to Belconnen, and operating the same service (34) back to Woden.

That concludes my Pictures, I am very interested to hear some comments back form the viewing public, so go ahead.
go-bus: The Metro Advantage
DarrenH

Post by DarrenH »

I think the pics you have taken are good.Not bad quality for the first time. I rather like the PR 100.2 and the Dennis Dart. 8)
PoweredByCNG
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O 405

Post by PoweredByCNG »

Just a little constructive criticism - the focus on all three photos seems extremely soft to me. Were these "action" shots or were the buses parked?

Regards,
Dave
Proud owner of ex-Transperth 1042 and ex-Transperth 1114.
Irisbus Rider

Post by Irisbus Rider »

These buses were in motion, or in "ACTION" (note the pun); some going approximately 30-40km/h. Some buses were going much too fast for me to take a good photo, the photos I did take turned out nothing more than a blur.
Thanks for the comments so far.
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Re: [ACT] My First Bus Pictures

Post by BroadGauge »

Good pictures Renault Rider (or Peanut Rider as one person calls you :lol).
Renault Rider wrote:The next one is a Renault PR100.2 MkII - 915 - Operating a "Radford Service", a 15 to Spence Terminus. Also taken from Platform 16 in Belconnen Interchange.
I did that run once - the same instance where the driver didn't bother pulling into the Spence Terminus, then started swearing at me after I was still on the bus past the terminus, despite me sitting near the front of the bus and being clearly visible :?. How many non-radford students get this service?

Never saw that driver doing that run again either after I complained.
Ken
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200

Post by Ken »

It's probably an obvious comment, but the side of the buses being in darkness doesn't make for a good pic. The contrast of the sun on the front of the bus and darkness of the side means the camera can't adjust to both.

Taking good moving shots is an acquired skill, especially for point & shoot digital cameras where you have to pre-zoom and focus half a second before it actually takes the shot.

Next time try and situate yourself so when you are taking pics that the front and whichever side of the bus is in equal light (preferably sun) and see how it goes. Good luck!
Apollo

Post by Apollo »

Looking at the shadows on the road if you were on the other side of the road the bus would have been perfectly in the sun. All about practice :D Keep it up.
widget

Post by widget »

Renault Rider wrote:These buses were in motion, or in "ACTION" (note the pun); some going approximately 30-40km/h. Some buses were going much too fast for me to take a good photo, the photos I did take turned out nothing more than a blur.
Thanks for the comments so far.
Pun noted.

Great photos, apart from the shade on the side. What camera did you use? I usually use a Kodak Z740, but it takes bad photos at night!
leopard1543
Favourite Vehicle: Sydney/Newcastle Govt. buses

Post by leopard1543 »

Nice pics :!: I took my first bus ones in 1969. They were with a 126 Kodak and they were b&w. :)
Bring back the Leopards!
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

Apollo wrote:Looking at the shadows on the road if you were on the other side of the road the bus would have been perfectly in the sun. All about practice :D Keep it up.
He took that at a bus interchange not a public street - so were for he to be standing on the other side, he would have not only been in the path of moving buses, but also legally been trespassing as there is "no pedestrians" signage at that location.
Irisbus Rider

Post by Irisbus Rider »

Thank you, all, for your feedback, I will keep shadowing in mind for next time, and yes, it is rather dark, I may have to change position.

It was taken using my new Pentax Optio A10, in 1024 (pixels?).

Keep the feedback coming, as It will only help me improve, once again, thanks.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Ken wrote:It's probably an obvious comment, but the side of the buses being in darkness doesn't make for a good pic. The contrast of the sun on the front of the bus and darkness of the side means the camera can't adjust to both.

Taking good moving shots is an acquired skill, especially for point & shoot digital cameras where you have to pre-zoom and focus half a second before it actually takes the shot.

Next time try and situate yourself so when you are taking pics that the front and whichever side of the bus is in equal light (preferably sun) and see how it goes. Good luck!
To build on that point, where you stand to get a shot should have the sun shining on your back. I also prefer overcast conditions just because the lighting becomes more "even" and you can shoot from all angles, including those side on shots which a few Canberra types seem to like taking.
member 1423

Post by member 1423 »

I'll have to agree with Windy in saying that overcast conditions are favourable for me too. Good for doing 'profile' shots of buses so to speak. Don't try taking a photo of a moving bus in overcast conditions though - the background will be nice and clear but the bus will just be a blur :D
Irisbus Rider

Post by Irisbus Rider »

Ok, thanks for that, I'll try to improve my tecnique in these areas.
Windy

Post by Windy »

Renault Rider wrote:Ok, thanks for that, I'll try to improve my tecnique in these areas.
Time and mistakes will fix that.
Carrie

Post by Carrie »

The way I take pics of buses on the move is I use a 'multiple image shot' setting that takes three photos in quick succession. I usually only keep the middle one, but sometimes it's the last one that works best. Plus if the bus is moving too fast, it will blur anyway. I'm sure your camera has a setting to take more than one pic at a time, check it out and give it a go. Only way with photos is trial and error. I liked your Dennis bus pic the best. But then I'm partial to Dennis buses! :D
Check out my bus & coach photos on http://carole.lawrence.fotopic.net and my train tram & ferry photos on
http://carole.lawrence-2.fotopic.net
Busnerd

Post by Busnerd »

Windy wrote: To build on that point, where you stand to get a shot should have the sun shining on your back. I also prefer overcast conditions just because the lighting becomes more "even" and you can shoot from all angles, including those side on shots which a few Canberra types seem to like taking.
What do you mean side on shots, can you clarify further? Maybe I can then take some more of those shots If I haven't already.

Do you just mean a side on shot, only showing one side of the bus? Because I started out taking thsoe sort of shots, and I still do, when I can, but more often than not it is the front and the left.
www.actbus.net | Get On Board

Return to “Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE”