[WA] 1974 Leyland Panther & 1974 Hino PRESERVED

This section contains posts made before the split into state-based forums for photos etc. New posts should be made to the appropriate state forum or the "General/Miscellaneous/Various" forum.
Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)
gregrudd

Post by gregrudd »

The Bell Tower wrote:Not according to a conversation Max Hayles (secretary - BPSWA) had with George Shea (Chairman of MTT). Max was General manager of Bell Bros. Tyres and sold tyres to Shea. Max asked Shea why the MTT had broken with tradition of buying British by buying the Hinos. Shea replied that Leyland were in torment with rolling strikes. Leyland wouldnt except a firm order for buses but offered to supply buses as and when they became avaiable and at a price set at time of delivery. The WA Govt wouldnt except this open ended arrangment because it was against tendering guide-lines. MTT put out feelers to other bus makers and Hino offered firm delivery dates and fixed costs with penalites for late delivery.
Question was Leyland/AEC subject to the same tender conditions in the 1960's when all was a lot roser at Leyland/AEC
I wish Gocher would keep Parramatta on-side! -Rex "THE MOOSE" Mossop
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

RK215 wrote:
Herbert wrote: Another Japanese preference for domestic buses was naturally-aspirated engines, due to their better throttle response. I can recall an early 1990’s trip with a group of Japanese customers, up, down and around the mountains of Hokkaido, in a Mitsubishi Fuso fitted with a huge naturally aspirated V8. The driver was a real “artist” with quick double declutch downshifts. The Kiwi/Aussie/American host contingent sat down the back of the bus (where else?). Given that the cooler was mounted forward, our Japanese friends soon got into the spirit of “chain-ganging” the cold beers back to us on a regular basis. That naturally-aspirated V8 preference appears to survive still. Earlier this year, I rode the Airport Limousine bus from TCAT to Narita (instead of getting the NEX train from Central) – it was a Mitsubishi V8, with the same characteristics.

Cheers,
I have encountered one of these Mitsubishi V8 powered coaches doing the rounds in Sydney a couple of times.
When I last ecountered it going along Qantas Drive a couple of weeks back I remembered this post.
Sounds very much like a Mercedes V8 coach.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.

Return to “Australian Photos, Videos, Sound Clips etc - ARCHIVE”